Insomnia?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Insomnia?

Post by CathyCraftz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:58 am

Introduced a new female finch to the other female, and now it’s dark and they’re still flying in the cage. What should I do?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Insomnia?

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:13 pm

CathyCraftz

Sounds like they weren't settled down for the night. When that happens to mine, I usually turn on the light and dim it over 10-20 minutes, or if that isn't an option, turn turn it off and on over longer periods of time until the birds stop flying around (so might turn it off for just a second at first, then turn it off for several seconds, then turn it off and leave it off when they stop moving). Otherwise they will have difficulty finding a perch in the middle of the night, and may spend a while longer flying around aimlessly.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: Insomnia?

Post by CathyCraftz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Icearstorm wrote: CathyCraftz

Sounds like they weren't settled down for the night. When that happens to mine, I usually turn on the light and dim it over 10-20 minutes, or if that isn't an option, turn turn it off and on over longer periods of time until the birds stop flying around (so might turn it off for just a second at first, then turn it off for several seconds, then turn it off and leave it off when they stop moving). Otherwise they will have difficulty finding a perch in the middle of the night, and may spend a while longer flying around aimlessly.
My zebra finches live outside, luckily they settled down when it became darker.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~