Finch Paralysis/Death

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
ruthwallis
Pip
Pip

Finch Paralysis/Death

Post by ruthwallis » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:38 am

Hi guys!Unfortunately I had to have my beloved little girl Bella (Zebra Finch) put to sleep last week due to illness and have been left with a lot of unanswered questions and I'm just looking for other peoples thoughts/advice on the situation. A long story short, Bella began showing sudden symptoms such as excessive urination, at times no urates or faeces just urine, excessive drinking, quiet, dirty vent and fluffed up feathers. Watery vegetables were immediately removed but this did not help and she was put into an isolation cage. I'm not a bird expert but I suspected Polyuria. She was taken the the vets, when at the vets she started passing large amounts of blood out of her bottom. She was prescribed antibiotics, 0.5ml to be given as drinking water, but I was not given an idea of what illness/disease it could be and told just to carry on as normal with diet/vitamin water. I asked for tests to be performed but none were. A few days followed and she seemed to slowly be doing better and her urination and excessive drinking returned to normal and she seemed to be doing great. However the following morning I found her paralysed, she had gone to bed as normal, but the next day could not fly and lost the ability to use her eyes, legs and her wings were constantly twitching. It was very disturbing to watch. As heartbreaking as it was I choose to have her put to sleep as she was clearly suffering very much. A different vet who put her to sleep suspected it was respiratory but she never showed any symptoms that I no of and had been treated for air sac mites etc. I was also told to stop feeding my birds cooked eggs and never give vitamin drops via drinking water. When I asked for further tests to be done I was told tests are expensive and I would be better off having an autopsy performed at a centre that does autopsy's on chickens which I'm unsure about. I'm in no way trying to undermine the veterinary information I was given but I'm extremely concerned this could be contagious or my other Zebra Finches might be at risk. All my other birds are in fantastic health and have shown no symptoms. I try my best to provide the best of everything form them. There cage is cleaned daily and they are always provided with fresh vegetables, water and finch seed mix, toys etc. I would just really appreciate any advice or knowledge people may be able to share. It would be greatly appreciated (we are based in Ireland). Thanks!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Finch Paralysis/Death

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:51 pm

ruthwallis

Sorry to hear about your bird :(

I'm not sure I can help, but not feeding cooked eggs ever again sounds unreasonable. Eggs are a great source of protein and fat and can mean the difference between a bad moult or poor condition and a healthy bird. Often it's a poor diet that leads to issues in birds, so unless there's an issue with the eggs where you live, I'm not sure why they would recommend that. They do make dry eggfood which doesn't spoil nearly as quickly, but it doesn't tend to have much protein or fat in comparison. Maybe if you added powdered eggs (for human consumption), dry soy crumbles, or some other kind of high-protein food it could work okay, but whole egg sounds like the way to go.

I'm not sure how a respiratory infection would lead to bleeding from anywhere but her respiratory tract. It does sound like polyuria, but unfortunately that is only a symptom, not the cause of the issues. The symptoms sound more digestive than anything. Since it was first digestive then neurological, I wonder if it could have been an overdose of something (vitamins or antibiotics perhaps) or heavy metal exposure, although this is unlikely since she was the only one effected. Or it could have been kidney or liver failure. It's really hard to know for sure. How old are your birds, and where did you get her from? It could have just been old age or a genetic issue that put her at risk for health issues.

If they are eating a varied diet of seeds (mainly carb-heavy ones, plus a few fattier ones), veggies, egg, and calcium, additional vitamins usually aren't required. But if they are picky eaters, vitamins can be useful, although they should still be provided in moderation; vitamins in drinking water can be a bit tricky since it's hard to tell how much a bird drinks. If vitamin water was provided when she was drinking excessively, there's a chance she may have overdosed, but usually that is from consuming several times the daily requirement. Overdosing from water-soluble vitamins is usually close to impossible, as well.

ruthwallis
Pip
Pip

Post by ruthwallis » Wed May 01, 2019 11:01 am

Hi Icearstorm, thanks for taking the time to reply. I completely agree with you about the eggs. I've only ever fed my birds cooked, free range eggs (that I eat myself) so I can't see why this would be an issue and I will be re introducing egg feed back into their diet now as I had done previously.

I do think it was kidney related but I've always be careful with vitamin drop dosage etc and always made sure their cage, toys etc. were bird safe to prevent possible metal/lead poisoning. I had Bella just shy of a year, I got her from a pet shop which my other birds also came from, so it is possible she had a genetic condition I was unaware of. Age wise I got the impression she was only young but I had no way of knowing for definite. She was always a quiet little girl, feisty at times but always happy to just do her own thing, she had no interest in pairing up or mating she was just glued to her best friend Little Bev 24/7.

They have a very healthy diet, they get a variety of fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, millet, finch seed mix daily and always have a cuttle fish bone and mineral block.They aren't overly fussy eaters and love to try new foods.

She always drank normally but it could have been very possible with her excessive drinking that it could have played a role, as she was drinking a disturbing amount of vitamin water in a small space of time so I see how this could have had an effect. I've since stopped giving them the vitamin drops and am looking into a finch herb mix so they can take vitamins as they please rather than taking too much drinking water.
Thank you again for all the information its been extremely helpful and I am so, so grateful!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu May 02, 2019 12:02 am

ruthwallis

I was sorry to hear about your loss.

Not sure what might have gone wrong initially.

It sounds like it might have started with some sort of a gastric/ intestinal issue which ruptured something inside, hence the bleeding.

Regarding the paralysis, I would guess a possible stroke (?)

Was this an avian vet that you saw?
After having some wierd encounters with vets who termed themselves as "knowledgeable" about birds, but not avian vets, I've come to really not put a lot of stock in what some of them say.

Hard boiled eggs are a very important source of protein for caged birds, and have been so for generations of bird keepers, breeders, and enthusiasts, going way back. For a vet to tell you not to offer this to your birds..... what can I say? :wink:

I would have asked him outright what source of protein he would recommend to offer instead to birds who do not have the option of hunting for their food in the great outdoors.

Sadly when we keep birds, there will occasionally be some losses.... and regretably in many of these cases it remaines a mystery unless a person can afford to do a necropsy (and even then it may be inconclusive).

I wish you luck with your other birds
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu May 02, 2019 10:07 am

ruthwallis

You're welcome! It sounds like you're doing everything right. Freak stuff happens sometimes, and often there's not much that can be done :/

ruthwallis
Pip
Pip

Post by ruthwallis » Thu May 02, 2019 10:08 am

Hi Elana, thank you for your message. Sounds like it could have been gastric/intestinal. Unfortunately where I live (we're quite rural) we have had difficulty finding a vet willing to treat my birds, they are very honest and open that they will not treat birds or that they are not as knowledgeable about birds as other animals. As we've been let down in the past with the treatment of a different bird we travelled to another vet, I can't seem to find an avian vet within reasonable travelling distance, I don't even know if they exist in Ireland if I'm honest. I know, I was shocked hearing they couldn't have eggs and looking back I wish i had challenged it. Thank you again for your comment and the information given, eggs are back on the menu tomorrow :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 am

ruthwallis

Good luck with your birds :D .

Last bumped by ruthwallis on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 am.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~