Clicking noises

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Cammy77
Pip
Pip

Clicking noises

Post by Cammy77 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:22 pm

My little finch is starting to make clicking noises, his beak Is closed while making the noises and at night he seems to move around a lot this started happening when it got colder now. Its winter here...is this air sac mites...? I can't afford to take the baby to the vet sadly.... Could there be any other options if it is air sac mites? And is there any better options other than using a heater thingy, because we don't have one, nor do we have money.. I use two blankets to cover their cage at night.
Attachments
IMG_20190418_161805.jpg

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Clicking noises

Post by Fraza » Mon May 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Cammy77 hi yeah you don’t need to take them to the vets straight away maybe at first just try some little things like buying a vitamin sublimely to put into there water, they are usually only cheap and from local pet shops it might work or it might not but it’s defietly cheaper than vets

Another thing if this doesn’t work is buy some air sac mite treatment

For keeping them warm at night they should be okay but you could maybe fill up a big bottle with warm water and leave it near there sleeping corner under the blanket
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Cammy77

0.8% Ivermectin (S76, Iverlux, etc) or 1g/mL Moxidectin (SCATT) can be used to treat air sac mites. They aren't super expensive, and you can usually ship them. I found one that should last for a few treatments for $18.

Heat lamps are great and you should be able to find a heat bulb for $10. In a pinch, regular florescents get pretty warm, although you won't want to leave them on at night.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue May 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Since this started when it got cold, he might just be aggravated by the cold. I wouldn't compromise his immune system with drugs. As long as he seems to be ok otherwise, he probably is ok.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 am

The clicking sound is a classic symtom of airsac mites and you can't cure it in any way but by giving medicine. Moxidectin is quite cheap, you put that in the water, or you can try drops that you put on the bird. Under the wing is best. Moxidectin cost about R30 in South Africa. Convert that to US Dollar and it is about $1.40. Unless the pet medicine prices are really jacked up where you stay.
Marius

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Fri May 24, 2019 3:48 am

Cammy77 Sorry I forgot, the cheapest way to cure airsac mites is by using karbodust (very cheap). Put your birds in a brown paperbag. Put a teaspoon of karbodust in the bag. Flick the bottom of the bag by shooting your finger at the bottom of the paperbag. This makes a cloud of dust inside the bag, which will kill the mites when the birds inhales it. Keep the birds inside the bag for a couple of minutes.
Marius