checking "fat" Gouldians?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
catherlee
Hatchling
Hatchling

checking "fat" Gouldians?

Post by catherlee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:53 am

Hello everyone, and much thanks for the great advice here!

I've heard so much about fat Gouldians, and want to know if there is any other way of checking their fat deposits other than holding them and blowing gently on their feathers to see the fat under their translucent skin. The catching and holding seem to really stress the birds, although my Gouldians do eat from my hand, so maybe they would not be as stressed.

Also, are there photos or guidelines as to how much fat is too much? Maybe according to the size of the fat? For example, "1 cm diameter is not too fat, but anything over that is too fat" ? The female has a line down the midline of her chest with no feathers, which I was told was perfectly normal, so I would doubt that she has much fat on her chest.

Any advice here is welcomed!
Pair of red-head Gouldians, male canary, blue poison dart frog, orchids, goldfish, clownfish, and a brindle greyhound.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: checking "fat" Gouldians?

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:23 pm

catherlee

Parting feathers and directly observing fat is far more reliable than just looking at the bird without touching it. Look at bird body condition score guides (usually on scale of 1 to 5, from starving to obese). Aim for a body condition score of 3, possibly up to near 4. 2 or below indicates sickness, and 5 is obese and could lead to joint issues, difficulty flying an breathing, low fertility, and other issues. The keel bone should be flush with the breast muscle, without any fat on the keel area. They can have a little bit of fat right above or below the keel (a slight yellow tint to area), but if the fat is firm and obscures the neck or abdomen, it's probably too thick. Finches don't seem to get fat on the keel area itself, so if that looks yellow and fatty there or if you can't see the edge of the keel bone at all, the bird is probably way too fat.

The line down the middle of the chest isn't going to tell you anything on its own. Here it's considered a minor show flaw if visible when standing normally, and is caused by feathering, not fat or muscle, so it can't tell you anything about body condition. However, if you can see the keel bone and surrounding area when she preens, you might be able to tell how much fat she has from a distance. It is unlikely, though, since finches move quickly.

catherlee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: checking "fat" Gouldians?

Post by catherlee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks so much for the advice!

Where do I see these "body condition score guides"? Are there photos or drawings somewhere?