Weird raspy cry?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Basic_Noodle
Pip
Pip

Weird raspy cry?

Post by Basic_Noodle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:27 am

Hi,

One of my new finches makes a weird raspy, wheezy, meep for about ten minutes a day (or at least ten minutes when I'm around). After which he goes back to making normal beeps and chirps. If I startle him during the ten minutes, he'll beep back at me normally, but then might go back to doing the strange wheeze afterwards.

He is very active, and as far as I can tell he eats perfectly fine. When it happens tho, the sound seems unhealthy, it sounds a bit like the sound a baby makes after crying and its out of breath.

How likely is it that this is a respiratory problem? I'd rather not have to add the stress of catching and transporting him to the vet if its not needed, especially as they're only just settling into their new home. But then I'd also rather not have my finches be unhealthy if they won't recover otherwise...

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Weird raspy cry?

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 am

Basic_Noodle

Is it a nesting call? My birds make nesting calls when they're settling in for the night, sitting in a nest, or exploring a potential nesting site. Bonded pairs tend to make it more when together, although one bird may call from across the cage to get the other to come.

Basic_Noodle
Pip
Pip

Post by Basic_Noodle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:54 am

I don't know much, but I quickly google what that should sound like, and my finch seems much more rattley/raspy and less singy when it makes the sound. Sounds like hes running out of batteries.

OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:36 am

Basic_Noodle wrote: I don't know much, but I quickly google what that should sound like, and my finch seems much more rattley/raspy and less singy when it makes the sound. Sounds like hes running out of batteries.
I think I know what you're talking about, although a recording would be great. My birds make a very short, "running out of battery" sounding beep a few times if they see something like a raven/cat or if they're showing that they're wary and ready to attack when I put my hand too close to their nest without a warning. Do you maybe have a cat at home or any other large animal?
I have two zebra finches; Mouschi, and his girlfriend, Kim.