Sudden finch death

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
n52nimbus
Pip
Pip

Sudden finch death

Post by n52nimbus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 pm

First, I'm not a finch expert. I inherited a male and female zebra finch from someone who could not longer care for them. They had been kept in a small budgie cage and in a pretty cold environment, but seemed none the worse for wear. I got them a proper flight cage and have done my best to provide them with proper varied diet, etc. I have had them for about a year.

They have always gotten on well. The male has always demonstrated affection, and any pecking seemed gentle and nurturing in nature. I have never noticed any picking of feathers or bare places. They both always seemed content and happy.

Yesterday morning I changed their water and fed them in the morning as usual. They both appeared fine and active. I left and when I returned late in the afternoon the female was dead on the bottom of the cage. Along her back it seemed the feathers had been pulled out as there was a bare place down the middle of her back ( I didn't see any feathers, though ). I cannot be 100% sure there was no bareness on her back prior, but I'm pretty observant and I think I would have noticed. I'm thinking maybe the male tried to wake her up or something.

I have had birds and cats and dogs in my life. Prior to any death there were always plenty of signs: Long sickness or injury, etc. I've never had a pet that seemed hail and hardy in the morning and was dead before dinner!

Any theories??? Thanks for any help.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Sudden finch death

Post by paul-inAZ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Unfortunately in some cases the first symptom of illness in birds is death. They hide sickness very well.
No way of guessing what caused your bird's death.