Molting and blind Gouldian

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
mrski
Hatchling
Hatchling

Molting and blind Gouldian

Post by mrski » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:10 am

Please help. My male Gouldian is not doing well. I would attribute his white feathers to molting, but I also think he is blind. He started sitting on the floor and feed dish and when he does fly up, he struggles to find a perch. I can reach in and put my hand very close and he doesn't react.
Attachments
IMG_3120 2.JPG
Pair of Blue-capped Cordon Bleus, Pair of Lady Gouldians

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Molting and blind Gouldian

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:09 pm

mrski

Something definitely isn't right but I'm not sure I'd say blindness. If the bird is sick enough, he may not have the energy to respond. The poor feathering makes me think severe nutrient deficiency, as even moulting birds shouldn't be getting white contour and flight feathers. White feathers can be due to protein deficiency, and vitamin A and iodine deficiency are also somewhat common in finches. However, over-supplementing can also cause issues. What are you feeding? If he's moulting, you should be providing eggfood every day, in addition to normal seed and veggies. Spirulina can be added to eggfood for additional iodine.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:35 pm

The eye looks ok to me. How old is he and what is on the floor in the background? He could be eating whatever that is. Dandelion greens are high in vitamin A. Does he get any fresh greens? I'll bet he would enjoy some dandelion greens clipped to the side of the cage. Always rinse well any fresh greens or produce.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:34 am

This is off topic, but I see you have a pair of Blue-capped Cordon Bleus. Please try to breed them, as this species is no longer being imported into the U.S. As the older ones die off, there is no way to replace them unless we breed. I still have one ancient BCCB hen, I expect to lose her any time, her mate died last year. They were both so old that there was no way to get any babies out of them, and all my others had died off of old age.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

mrski
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by mrski » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:24 am

He is only three years old. That's the thing about feeding anything other than seed, none of my birds have ever touched any egg food or greens or mealworms that I have offered them. I tried for months, but have given up, because they never ate any of it. I tried Quiko egg food and Miracle Meal, and tried many times with homemade egg food. The same with greens and fruits.

I have tried a couple supplements (Feather Fast and Featheriffic) sprinkled on seed, but I don't know how much they actually get. I have also added iodine to their water, hoping that would help.

I'll keep trying.

Thanks

mrski
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by mrski » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:29 am

Sally wrote: This is off topic, but I see you have a pair of Blue-capped Cordon Bleus. Please try to breed them
Unfortunately my male died last summer. I tried to breed them before, and they hatched three clutches, but immediately tossed the babies every time. I don't have the right environment for breeding and like I said in my other post, they never would eat right for breeding. I would love to find another.