Male zebra finch started having seizures

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Male zebra finch started having seizures

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:21 pm

I had a Gouldian that had convulsions. These were intermittent and he was completely normal for days on end. This kept the hope of recovery alive. Ultimately he just dropped dead.

Yours sounds sick enough that the humane thing would be putting him out of his misery. A vet visit seems a total waste of money.
You are at least lucky that zebras are so inexpensive that replacing him will cost next to nothing.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:48 pm

I'm sorry I wasn't on the computer for a couple of days. I don't know what is wrong. It might be something related to the seizures he was having. Sometimes all you can do is provide food and water and a comfortable environment. You are doing the best you can. I hope he makes it through this.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Paul-inAZ: For some of us, the value of a bird is not determined by the dollar amount.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:47 am

Wildbird:
Pets die. Replacement cost is a consideration. Big difference in cost of a new zebra vs replacing one of my lutino Bourkes for eg.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:14 pm

This bird sounds extremely ill. In most cases, once a bird is this ill, it is beyond saving, even with a vet visit. The problem with taking a finch to a vet is that many of them have experience mostly with the larger birds. I once had a finch that needed blood drawn, and the avian vet had to call the vet school to find out how to do this with such a tiny bird. The first time I took a finch to an avian vet, I was not encouraged when the receptionist exclaimed that it was their first finch patient! I would try to find out if the vet has experience with small birds such as finches.

As far as spending money on a vet for a Zebra finch, that is a totally personal decision. What may seem like a waste of money to some will make total sense to others.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 pm

I'm so sorry!! I am so afraid of the time when mine might get I'll.
I'm very happy being me, although sometimes I'd love to be a bird so that I could fly. Joy Fielding