male Gouldian with watery droppings

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
catherlee
Hatchling
Hatchling

male Gouldian with watery droppings

Post by catherlee » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi - my male is still acting very frisky and active, courting the female, flying around, even though I started feeding austerity seed. I did notice his "droppings" are quite watery, not the normal black and white. Is this something to be concerned about? What might it be?
Pair of red-head Gouldians, male canary, blue poison dart frog, orchids, goldfish, clownfish, and a brindle greyhound.

catherlee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: male Gouldian with watery droppings

Post by catherlee » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:17 pm

Hm... the male still has very watery droppings. It is 25 days into his austerity seed and he is STILL courting the female! This guy won't quit! :lol:
He is acting very frisky and loves to splash the water all over the place when drinking. Maybe he's just drinking too much water?
Pair of red-head Gouldians, male canary, blue poison dart frog, orchids, goldfish, clownfish, and a brindle greyhound.

finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by finchman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:35 pm

catherlee wrote: Hm... the male still has very watery droppings. It is 25 days into his austerity seed and he is STILL courting the female! This guy won't quit! :lol:
He is acting very frisky and loves to splash the water all over the place when drinking. Maybe he's just drinking too much water?
Do you notice him drinking more water than normal? I have a one male that drinks a LOT and seems to always have very watery droppings but has lived an otherwise normal healthy life. I've never been able to explain it...

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:21 pm

It could be a kidney infection or disorder. I had a bird that was drinking a LOT of water for months before he died. The vets said it was kidney, but he also was passing undigested seed. A good avian vet might be able to help your bird. They might prescribe antibiotics.

lancerguy
Pip
Pip

Post by lancerguy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:20 pm

Just wanted to give an update on this. We took a sample of droppings to the vet and had it sent off for lab testing. It came back clean so he doesn't have any bacteria issue.

We manually cleaned his vent one more time and he hasn't gotten it dirty again. Dropping consistency has slowly improved over several days, I think he is feeling a lot better now. We did start adding the ACV to his regular water.

Thanks for the insight from everyone!