Crust/Plaque/Scale on Beak

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
skimmers
Pip
Pip

Crust/Plaque/Scale on Beak

Post by skimmers » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Hello! I have recently acquired 2 pairs of finches (1 pair owl, 1 pair lavender waxbill) from a reputable/small pet store. The pet store had these finches as recent surrenders, and let me have them after giving them one treatment of SCATT. One of the owls has a visible white crust on the top of the beak (pictures attached), is banded, and is missing most of its toes (its mate has no visible health issues). The missing toes are unfortunate, and I have done my best to make a handicap-friendly cage, but I am concerned about the condition of the beak in case it is something contagious that may be spread to the other finches (kept in a separate cage, not pictured). The crust appeared to improve slightly after treatment with SCATT, but I don't have pictures from that time to make a reliable comparison. All 4 finches are very energetic, with much singing, eating, flying, and attempted nesting.

I am taking them to the vet this weekend but was hoping to ask if anyone has experienced anything similar with their finches? I have scoured the internet for pictures of finches with scaly mites (K. jamaiscensis?), and it doesn't seem very similar to what my bird has. Any advice or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated, so that I can know what to expect!
Attachments
At angle, along with mate
At angle, along with mate
Head-on
Head-on

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Crust/Plaque/Scale on Beak

Post by wildbird » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:12 pm

They are beautiful birds. It looks like just a spot on the pictures, not a crust. If the two birds were together for quite awhile, and the other one didn't show any signs of it, than it probably isn't something others would get. Maybe an injury. Be sure you are going to an experienced avian vet. Both birds look very healthy. I wouldn't worry about him.

skimmers
Pip
Pip

Post by skimmers » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks wildbird! Yes, the 2 owls and 2 lavenders have been together as long as I have seen them (together in the pet store, and together now, so at least 1 month). I understand mite infestations can take many months to become symptomatic, so I am just erring on the side of caution. I am going to a vet specializing in exotics, which was the best available in my area - hopefully they will be familiar with finches! It is good to hear that they look healthy!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:43 pm

I would find out before going if this vet has experience with small birds, especially finches. Some vets will do more harm than good, if they don't know what they're doing. It's hard to find a good avian vet who knows how to handle and treat finches. That's why most breeders don't even go to a vet.

skimmers
Pip
Pip

Post by skimmers » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Thanks for the word of caution wildbird! I ended up going and it turns out that it was just dried/crusty droppings... the vet trimmed the malformed talons and cleaned off the beak and gave advice on things to look out for. All 4 finches are very happy!