Young female zebra: Feces are watery / Nails are dark

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Zebrafinch000
Pip
Pip

Young female zebra: Feces are watery / Nails are dark

Post by Zebrafinch000 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Hello all,

I just got a juvenile female zebra finch about three weeks ago. And I noticed that her feces are quite watery. Once in a while she has normal droppings, but from what I saw, about 70% of the time her droppings include quite an amount of urine (transparent) without the actual feces. Is this normal? I had never had a finch who had this issue for more than a week. (I fed her veggies every other day, and the other bird doesn't have this issue.)

Also, when I first got her, her nails are darker in color. I thought it was because she was still very young, and it was ok for her beak and nails to be darker. Now her beak is no longer dark, but her nails are still the same color. She is easily startled, and it had been hard for me to take a look at her nails at a closer distance. But she seems to be healthy otherwise. Is this something to be worried?

Thanks!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Young female zebra: Feces are watery / Nails are dark

Post by lovezebs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:28 pm

Zebrafinch000

Cut out the greens altogether out of her diet for a while, putting her on seed and clean water diet alone for a while to see if it will improve her runny poop.

Regarding the nails, some babies have darker nails than others, but this usually changes with age. Do you know how old age is ? Any pictures?

Keep her separate from your other birds until poop problem resolves.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~