Baby Finch is seemingly dying

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Mpark008
Pip
Pip

Baby Finch is seemingly dying

Post by Mpark008 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:51 am

Out of the litter of 5 (2 have already passed away) this Finch was smaller compared to others. But Up to a couple days ago he was flying all the way up to the highest perch, his parents were feeding him with no problem. A couple days ago I noticed he was sleeping more than usual and today same thing (no he is shaking a little) is there anything I can do? Last time I took a sick Finch to the vet (he was older) the vet said seems like a bacterial infection and he died a couple days later. Thank you

Mpark008
Pip
Pip

Re: Baby Finch is seemingly dying

Post by Mpark008 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:22 pm

He died :( sorry for the double post

keijikage
Pip
Pip

Post by keijikage » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:07 pm

Sorry to hear that...usually they go pretty fast. In the future it would be best have an emergency hospital cage with extra heat/etc...however you need to be ready to hand feed if you do that which has it's own challenges.

Sometimes they get slow crop and the food starts to ferment. If the droppings have a sour smell to them, they may have a yeast infection which will stop their intestines from absorbing nutrients.

When this happens I typically cut the handfeeding formula with a little bit of apple cider vinegar to change the pH in the crop, and warm them up to start crop movement again.

Mpark008
Pip
Pip

Post by Mpark008 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:23 pm

keijikage wrote:
Sorry to hear that...usually they go pretty fast. In the future it would be best have an emergency hospital cage with extra heat/etc...however you need to be ready to hand feed if you do that which has it's own challenges.

Sometimes they get slow crop and the food starts to ferment. If the droppings have a sour smell to them, they may have a yeast infection which will stop their intestines from absorbing nutrients.

When this happens I typically cut the handfeeding formula with a little bit of apple cider vinegar to change the pH in the crop, and warm them up to start crop movement again.
Thank you, will take this advice

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Mpark008

Sorry for your loss...
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Brisbane_Finches_333
Pip
Pip

Post by Brisbane_Finches_333 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 pm

however you need to be ready to hand feed if you do that which has it's own challenges.

I would not reccomend hand-rearing to anyone who is not super willing to doing it, as it is extremely difficult and you have to monitor and feed the birds every two hours in the beginning, and it is a lot of work just to raise one bird. This means bringing the birds everywhere you go, this includes doctors appointments, work etc. Unfortunately, birds naturally die in the nest and that is just a part of breeding birds.

Thanks
Aidan
Finch and Quail Breeder from Brisbane, Australia