Killer Finches ? ? ?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
CyndieSue
Pip
Pip

Killer Finches ? ? ?

Post by CyndieSue » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:51 pm

I have an outdoor aviary (12ft x 12 ft and 8 ft high). I have zebras, chocolate societies, lady gouldians, cordon blues and hooded nuns. I am certain there is no rodent access (I would see droppings and they would go after the seeds) but, I periodically find dead birds that appear to have been killed and pecked clean. Sorry this is so graphic....Sometimes all that's left is the wings. They seem to be my younger gouldians as well as zebras and a cordon blue that hopped funny and my female strawberry finch. The only breed that I haven't found a victim from are the societies. Could they be the culprits? I go out at various times of the day but I never see an 'squabbling' going on. There is always plenty of food and water and lots of perch space. Has anyone heard of a carnivorous finch?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:34 pm

I have never heard of Societies fighting with other species let alone killing any. You most likely have a predator getting into your aviary. What part of the world do you live?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

CyndieSue
Pip
Pip

Post by CyndieSue » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:55 pm

I live in California....70 miles north of San Francisco. My aviary is very secure....I can't imagine what predator would get in.... Today I found a dead bird on a shelf in the center of the aviary. This one had a hole in its skull... I am mystified.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:18 pm

Yeah that is pretty strange.

I recall a similar post on another forum awhile back. This person was finding birds partially eaten like you but felt there was no way a predator could get in her aviary. One day she went out early in the morning and discovered a small lizard was in her avairy and after her prized Gouldian.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~