Air Sac Mites

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Air Sac Mites

Post by lea » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:12 pm

two consecutive days is really to big dose for little finches.
i have used ivermectin, but i forgot when was second time in day 21, or after day 21.
the treatment was successful, so i really don't have to give that dilution so often :roll:

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:06 pm

two consecutive days is really to big dose for little finches.
i have used ivermectin, but i forgot when was second time in day 21, or after day 21.
the treatment was successful, so i really don't have to give that dilution so often :roll:
Ivermectin loses it's potency within hours of mixing in water that's why you must treat more often. The directions are 2 consecutive days each week for 3 weeks in a row.
The dosage for ivermectin is NOT once and then again in 21 days, that is for Scatt which has moxidectin as it's ingredient and NOT ivermectin. Moxidectin stays in the birds system for 21 days NOT Ivermectin.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by lea » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:46 am

debbie276 wrote:
Ivermectin loses it's potency within hours of mixing in water that's why you must treat more often. The directions are 2 consecutive days each week for 3 weeks in a row.
The dosage for ivermectin is NOT once and then again in 21 days, that is for Scatt which has moxidectin as it's ingredient and NOT ivermectin. Moxidectin stays in the birds system for 21 days NOT Ivermectin.
ok, but what about the treatment i did before which has succeed?
Usually one good drink will cure the above mentioned problems.
this is from this site http://www.avianweb.com/airsackmites.html

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:10 am

Lea,
If it worked for you that's great but I don't think you should be posting directions which are not recommended.
What if someone has a large infestation and needs the full treatment and they follow your directions. Their birds could get worse and die. What if the first treatment stopped the immediate problem and now new mites hatch. Without the follow-up treatments with ivermectin their bird would just get reinfected. Ivermectin directions are the way they are because the drug is not as potent as Scatt (moxidectin) and the birds need a 21 day treatment which is the life cycle of the mite.

Several diseases / health conditions cause the same symptoms as ASM, are you sure that they really had the mites ...

I honestly think that the avianweb article is a bit outdated. The producer of ABBA Seed, Mr Abbate was not a vet and if you notice he was using the Ivervmectin 1% Injectable Solution which is for cattle and swine, not a product made for birds.
If you read right below the ABBA Seed recommendation they have a vet protocol which also seems outdated to me;
Vets commonly treat birds with Ivermectin Propylene Glycol, which differs from the Ivermectin one finds in the farm stores with the picture of a cow on the front of the bottle. Birds require a special dilution and if given to a bird full strength, or improperly diluted, death could result. Only the Ivermectin available for birds is correctly formulated for birds and can be given right from the bottle. Please note that this a double application treatment. After the first application repeat in twelve days, as during the first time you are killing the mites but not the eggs. During the second application you are killing the mites that hatch from the eggs.

The only recommendation I would follow are on the bottle of a bird specific mite treatment medicine.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by lea » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:32 am

debbie276 wrote: Several diseases / health conditions cause the same symptoms as ASM, are you sure that they really had the mites ...
i don't know if they have them or not. just to be sure, cause they are new birds from the market, you know... shouldn't i treat them for it?
debbie276 wrote:The producer of ABBA Seed, Mr Abbate was not a vet and if you notice he was using the Ivervmectin 1% Injectable Solution which is for cattle and swine, not a product made for birds.
ivermectin that i bought is 1% and is not for birds too. but i bought only few ml, not full bottle.

debbie276 wrote:The only recommendation I would follow are on the bottle of a bird specific mite treatment medicine.
so directions that you said is for ivermectin, that is suitable for birds?
if i do it with ivermectin, that i have, maybe it will be really too much?

thank you very much, debie :)

joemau
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by joemau » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:20 am

if my gouldians ingest the ivermectin, is it bad for them? [-o<

wesnconnie@gmail.com
Pip
Pip

Post by wesnconnie@gmail.com » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:19 pm

My cordon blue hen just came out of her nest today and it's the first time we've seen her since she's been sitting this clutch. We notice she is breathing VERY heavily and will gulp 3 or 4 times in the middle of it all almost like she's trying to swallow something.

I'm not sure what is going on, as we received these birds barely 2 months ago (we bought 10 birds of 5 varieties that were shipped to us). And because our Star finches immediately were breeding we didn't do a preventative treatment for air sac mites.

All our birds are indoor in a large 6'X6' aviary. I'm afraid if I try to treat her for air sac mites she'll take the ivomec back into the nest and harm the chicks.

Is this a concern or am I just over anxious?
1 Cordon's, 2 Gouldians, 1 Star, 4 Society, 2 Owls. Our own little ark.

wesnconnie@gmail.com
Pip
Pip

Post by wesnconnie@gmail.com » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:33 pm

I mean, I know the risk is high we'll lose the hen and I really don't want to do that. I'm afraid if it is air mites that she may be so infested we'll lose her from the treatment and the mites clogging her air way. She's still eating and drinking and takes her turn on the nest from the male. If we pull her from the clutch, we could use them also if the male stops taking care of them. I do have a pair of societies but they are sitting their own nest at this time.

I'm open to input.

wesnconnie@gmail.com
Pip
Pip

Post by wesnconnie@gmail.com » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:26 pm

The sad news is we lost our little hen this morning. the male has left the nest only once and we've yet to be able to see in to it to see if the clutch hatched or not. I'll give things another week if he's still watching over it and by then we should see something. It's been long enough the 3 eggs I knew were in there should have hatched and we should see some little ones if they are coming out.
I had pictures of 3 eggs on 1/15/12 so, we'll see from here. Watching the rest of the aviary for signs or problems. I'm going to be a nervous wreck for a while.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:49 pm

S76 is a mite treatment that is safe for birds of any age. It is put in the water, so all birds can be treated at once. You will want to pull all other sources of water during the time you have the S76 in their water, or they won't drink the S76. Follow the directions on the bottle for administering it.

Where are you located? If you put your location in your profile, it makes it easier to recommend products that may be available in your area.

I am so sorry you lost your hen, it could have been something else besides air sac mites. All you can do at this point is either see if the male will feed any hatchlings and watch closely for any tosslings.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wesnconnie@gmail.com
Pip
Pip

Post by wesnconnie@gmail.com » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm in Lexington KY.
We're waiting and watching everyone and the nests.

thanks for any input!

wesnconnie@gmail.com
Pip
Pip

Post by wesnconnie@gmail.com » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Well, got the S76 and treated everyone. all has been well since losing the cordon blue hen. We even had a clutch of societies hatch and fledge. Then our Star finch went to set a clutch. Last night she came out and fed and went back to the nest. This a.m. she came out and was gasping and fluffed. I started the 5 days of erythromycin hoping to head off any respiratory infection. Went to work and when I came home. She was gone.

Why am I losing only hens? Is this normal to lose 2 hens in 6-7 weeks?

I keep fresh egg food every a.m. They get egg shell separately, kelp ( I have 2 gouldians), greens, FVite, millet, seed, and fresh water daily. Is there something I'm missing?

wesnconnie@gmail.com
Pip
Pip

Post by wesnconnie@gmail.com » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:45 pm

The breeder I got all my original birds from feels it could be egg binding. I'd tend to agree but neither hen had a wet appearing vent or appeared to be straining.

now this all said, we did find 2 eggs in the nest this hen left. I tried to put them over to our society nest, but my husband managed to break both eggs. (sigh)

So at this time, I have no clue.

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:31 am

I have a question. I'm prepping my gouldians up for breeding. The gouldians I have had for a while have been treated with one drop of scatt probably 2 months ago and have showed no signs of asm. The newest gouldians I've got came from a great breeder who said scatt may make the male impotent for a while, so I decided to order s76 because it claims to be fine using during all seasons. While I have my birds separated I started treating with s76. I've just finished the 2nd treatment of the 3 doses, and NOW I heard small clicking sounds in 2 of my females. Is this normal to show up AFTER treatment? Like if possible mites were there, they are dying and causing this sound?

I also have scatt on hand. The last time I used scatt, I applied to the thigh. After hearing this clicking, I panicked and applied a drop behind their neck because I hear this is a better method. However, it was harder doing it this way; I couldn't clear enough feathers to see the skin, so I applied one drop as close to the skin as I could and rubbed in with my finger. I'm not entirely sure if they all really got a full drop doing it this way? It's now been 48 hours, and they still have a small clicking sound.

They get their third and final run of s76 the next two days. How long should I wait to do a second dose of Scatt, as I'm not positive they actually got a full drop of it? I don't want to over-do the asm treatment, but these birds are in beautiful feather and are very active, I'd rather get this out of the way now before postponing their breeding season any further.

I might also mention the only other thing that has changed besides bringing in new birds, and using s76, is I've turned my heater down now that it's getting warmer outside. The bird room was around 80 degrees for the duration of winter, but it's now about 73. I can't imagine this causing any stress, but... I'm not sure.
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves

wesnconnie@gmail.com
Pip
Pip

Post by wesnconnie@gmail.com » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:41 pm

I've been told the clicking after treatment is the effect of the mites being released and they were there all along, but they are now lose and in the airway. Continue the treatment with the S76 and it should work.

doing both treatments could overdose your birds!