Air Sac Mites

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Air Sac Mites

Post by lea » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:18 am

where i live, there is no other meds except ivermectin.
and its very hard to catch all my 36 birds in aviary, so i use it in water.
i've treated them three times, 3 weeks on same day, but it didnt worked as it seems, and i dont know why, is it bad interval between days or dilution was to light

lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by lea » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:25 am

annague wrote:.... and then again in 3 weeks. ...
what it mean? shoud i repeat it on day 21 after the firs treatment or can i on 15 day?

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:27 am

seems to mean to repeat the treatment on day 21.
remove all water sources late on the day prior to treatment.
place the treated water in the aviary early the next morning and leave it for 24 hours. the birds should all drink from it and some will even bathe in it.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by lea » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:54 am

thanks, now i see, that my last treatment was too short.
my drink dish is closed, so they cant really bath in it, but i think that it would be enough just drinking

tannydawn
Pip
Pip

Post by tannydawn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:03 pm

ok my arican silverbill has asm, i have a spot on but it says for canaries and not to use on small finches
would it be ok if i used a small dose of it, i have no avian vet anywhere near me and the only medication i can get is the one i mentioned

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Hopefully someone with knowledge of this product will come along soon. [-o<
Sorry that your welcome to the forum has to be for this reason.
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Sat May 07, 2011 5:43 am

For the first time in all my years of birdkeeping I'm losing birds to internal mites.I have ivermectin for spot treatment but this is impractical for an aviary full of birds...many sitting eggs and chicks.
As many of you know this country is into cage birds big time and I can't believe a soluble treatment is unavailable..like a bird keeper friend of mine I am having to buy S76 from the Ladygouldian site in the States...very costly.
I'm determined to correct this and will be contacting some of the bigger Veterinary suppliers over here to see if someone can start a supply chain over here.I know the basic ingredient is Moxidectin which is used as a horse wormer over here.The trouble is it has to be bought through a vet...and the vets over here have no idea of the strengths suitable for cage birds.
I've got my work cut out,but I will find somebody over here to take up the challenge.

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Sat May 07, 2011 6:37 am

This is just awful news Pooh :cry:

You are right though, you would imagine that with all the finch breeders in your country that someone would be selling supplies. :?
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:17 am

I brought home a new gouldian and in the quiet of my bathroom I hear the dreaded clicking sound coming from the bird. DRAT!!!! I put drop of SCATT on the skin under her wing.

The video instructions of putting it on the thigh is clear and should be a lot easier than what I had been doing. I had trouble w the feathers, and rubbing it in makes sure that the SCATT gets onto the skin of the bird.

The video also says to do 3 treatments 21 days apart. I had 2 treatments on my quarantine schedule, now I will be updating my quarantine treatment schedule for 3 treatments.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Rowdy Hotel
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Rowdy Hotel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:59 pm

I have a bottle of scatt i bought early in the year and kept it away in a cabinet until later use. Lately I've been acquiring more birds and started using the ivermectin to treat them in their water, as I don't feel like treating them individually.

I did feel like I should test the bottles to make sure the medicines were still effective. I only just recently installed an AC in the room and it got very warm on warm sunny days, probably 90-100 degrees. I was worried that the high temps had destroyed the medicines. Knowing mites and spiders are closely related I figured they probably have a lot of the same biological processes. I captures four of them in no time and set up four containers. I placed one drop of ivermectin water solution (1/2 tsp iverlux per qt. of water) in two of the spider vials and one drop of scatt in the other two vials. Two days later the spiders with the ivermectin were behaving very erratic, clearly the ivermectin had messed with their nervous system. The spiders who got the drop of scatt though seemed completely normal! One of the spiders even got hit with the drop of scatt and still seems ok two days later. I will test it again but am concerned that the moxidectin in the scatt has been denatured by the high temps and I'll need to buy another one.

Rowdy Hotel
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Rowdy Hotel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:08 am

lea wrote:where i live, there is no other meds except ivermectin.
and its very hard to catch all my 36 birds in aviary, so i use it in water.
i've treated them three times, 3 weeks on same day, but it didnt worked as it seems, and i dont know why, is it bad interval between days or dilution was to light

I was using ivermectin incorrectly the first time I used it, too. I was mixing the solution the night before I used it since I didn't have time to do it in the morning and before going off to work I would give my birds water. This won't work because ivermectin (at least the ivermectin fuond in Iverlux and S76) is very unstable in water and becomes denatured and useless in 8 hours. So I was not actually treating my birds with any ivermectin as it was no longer good when they got it in the morning. In order to expose your birds to ivermectin for 24 hours, you would have to prepare new solution and change their water every 8 hours. I don't remember reading this on the bottles themselves, but rather online when I was looking for alternative sources of ivermectin.

Foosa101
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Foosa101 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:32 pm

ahoang25 wrote:I ordered the supplies from the ladygouldian finch last week. Got my medicines and foods on Monday, July 20. Apparently, what I really wanted most was the S76, BUT the package did not include the medicine.

I was so disappointed. I called them a few times and left 2 messages. No return calls. Finally, I emailed them and Joanne replied and told me that she personally packed my order, but forgot to put the S76. She told me that she will send it out, but it's been 4 days already.

I dont know what to do. They dont pick up the phone or return my calls.

Am I dealing with a company that is not truthful and honest?

Anthony
It's an excellent company and I would just throw this mishap "under the rug" as I don't have any complaints but only rants and raves about how helpful they are. Laraine has been extremely informative along with providing expeditious shipping.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Laraine has been extremely informative along with providing expeditious shipping.
Just an FYI, Laraine has her own website now. Her site is http://www.ladygouldian.com/
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by lea » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:44 am

mickp wrote:...Early the next morning the medicated water is made available and left in with the birds for 24 hours. this is repeated 3 weeks later.
i will use ivermectin dilution for my new birds in quarantine.
everything have messed up in my head...
i will give them dilution tomorrow, so when the second time should be,
on day 21, or after 21 days? i should give them another treatment in october 4 or 5? or that one day means nothing?

thanks

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 am

i will use ivermectin dilution for my new birds in quarantine.
everything have messed up in my head...
i will give them dilution tomorrow, so when the second time should be,
on day 21, or after 21 days? i should give them another treatment in october 4 or 5? or that one day means nothing?
Ivermectin, Iverlux or S76 directions are:
2 consecutive days each week for 3 weeks in a row.

Scatt which is Moxidectin (not ivermectin) directions are:
Place the drop in direct contact with the skin, in a place where the bird cannot ingest any of the liquid into it’s mouth.
Scatt stays in the birds system for 21 days, you could retreat at that time just to be sure you got them all, though the ASM life cycle is 21 days so it should cover that time frame.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56