zebra finch perched funny?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
littlefinch
Pip
Pip

zebra finch perched funny?

Post by littlefinch » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:47 pm

hi everyone just need a little help with one of my finches..
it seems that she is sitting on one leg only, the left one. ive attached a pic coz i cant explain it right now :?

any help wud be much appreciated!

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:30 am

She always perchs like this?

Does she stand/hop normally?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

vetbridge
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vetbridge » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:07 pm

^What she said.

If the leg is always mispositioned, and if the foot does not grasp, you should have her examined by a veterinarian. Fractures of the tibiotarsus can be splinted and heal nicely.

littlefinch
Pip
Pip

Post by littlefinch » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:09 pm

tammieb wrote:She always perchs like this?

Does she stand/hop normally?
she stands/hops the same way, still slanted sort of
would it be a fracture? also, the other night a cat got one of them :evil: and took some tail feathers off another. this one couldve injured itself as well?

and vetbridge, when perched, both feet grasp the perch, shes just leaning on her left foot as u can see

Any other help is much appreciated!

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:14 pm

Nearly impossible to say what kind of accident may have caused your bird to be this way. If she is eating and acting normally other than the leaning, I would just let her be. She looks to be in pretty good condition.

Are your birds in an outdoor aviary? Or was it your housecat that got to the birds??
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

littlefinch
Pip
Pip

Post by littlefinch » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:16 am

tammieb wrote:Are your birds in an outdoor aviary? Or was it your housecat that got to the birds??
we have them in an otudoor medium cage at the moment,only 5 of them since the cat from next door got one of them :x but we are moving them into a bigger one sometime this week or next.

she seems to be eating fine etc, sometimes while the others hop about, she is just perched alone, but at other times she is hopping around with the others...so i duno what to do..should i just leave her be?

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:19 pm

Is there any update on this? I agree it looks like it was related to trauma (fracture or possibly an avulsion or pain). I wast just wondering how she is getting along now (if she still perches funny or if she has healed). I have a gould hen with a fractured leg (which healed mal-aligned, and she tends to hold her leg out like this as well, but she cannot grip).

Hope your bird is doing well.

handes
Pip
Pip

Post by handes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:17 pm

My zebra hen is also perching like this,she has a crop problem and maybe overweighted because of this.She is also leaning on her mate when sleeping. :roll: