Bloody Stool

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
FLAMEonfire
Nestling
Nestling

Bloody Stool

Post by FLAMEonfire » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:16 am

:( Please help- I have a male gouldian that had been on anti-botics for 14 days after having dirrehea [sorry about the spelling] He has been off of them now for 7 days and now I'm finding bloody stool in the morning. Whats strange is that it happens just in the mornings. All day he seems find and there is no blood. Can anyone Please help - What can be causing the problem and what can I do??? I don't want him to die and he seems so weak...

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:45 pm

hi flame

here is some text taken from a gouldian site

Parasites intestinal freeloaders such as gizzard, tape and round worms can cause diarrhea containing undigested seed. The signs of worms are usually non-specific-often a bloody diarrhea followed quickly by death. Worm infestation causes the bird to loose weight because it blocks the intestine, making it difficult for the bird to absorb food. Food is also not digested properly and is found intact in the bird's feces. Treatment Worm Away in their water will kill intestinal worms, including tapeworm.

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

FLAMEonfire
Nestling
Nestling

Bloody Stool

Post by FLAMEonfire » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:55 pm

:x :( Thank you Kenny for your reply- You were right about "after the bloody stool comes a quick death!!! ." I hope the other 2 will be alright.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:12 pm

i am so sorry i thought you may be able to get some treatment for it before anything drastic happened..do you think it may be wise to treat the others just incase..as they may catch something from the other one

ken

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Definitely worm them. So sorry about the one you lost!
Hilary

albert
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by albert » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:42 pm

I just lost 1 blue back female last week for the same symptom: raw blood in stool.

The problem is I could not get them drink the Worm-Out-Gel diluted water, the smell is too strong and they rather stay thirsty than take that water.

Any advice?

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:58 pm

is there any chance you can get them to take some of it in a dropper

ken

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:27 pm

I put a couple of drops of strawberry syrup in the water with wormout gel, and have never had a problem with them drinking it (though it's pretty disgusting). The dropper is also a good idea - if you release a drop on the side of their beak (where the upper and lower halves meet) they'll often kind of suck it in (that's the technical term, of course).
Hilary

msdolittle
Pip
Pip

Post by msdolittle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:10 am

Have you added any sort of probiotic to his food? Sometimes antibiotics (well, not sometimes, all the time) rid the gut of all the bacteria....including the good stuff, and it can cause a bloody stool.
~Angela~

albert
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by albert » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:52 am

I saw blood and immediately put them on antibiotic, but it did not help.

Hilary, when using the dropper, you give them the mixture of gel and water or just pure wormout gel?

Thanks.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:56 am

Personally I would mix it up with the water (and the strawberry syrup :wink: ), try to give your bird a couple of drops with the dropper, then leave the rest in the cage as its water source. Good luck!!
Hilary

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:39 am

I can't figure out why people bother putting finches on probiotics. They probably don't hurt, but I doubt they really help. I have read that passerines (this includes finches) do not have but a transient "gut flora," which is why the fecal stains of healthy birds are usually pretty clean with few, if any, bacteria present. This is in contrast with parrots and many other animals which have a permanent gut flora.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:39 am

hi cyrstal
i totally agree ,if its not broken dont fix it..i only treat my birds with any specific medicine if they are ill i think you are tempting fate if you give them stuff when they dont really need it..after all they dont get it in the wild

ken

albert
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by albert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:34 pm

Ok here is what I found work for my birds:

1ml of wormout gel, 9ml of water.

0.2ml for each adult gouldian administered directly into their crop.

I worked well for my birds, except one got streesed because I chased her around the cage.

I will repeat the treatment in 2 weeks from now because I think my birds are loaded of worms. :(

FLAMEonfire
Nestling
Nestling

bloody stool

Post by FLAMEonfire » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:16 am

:D I THOUGHT I'D COME BACK AND REPORT TO ALL WHAT'S GOING ON. THERE WAS 2 OTHER BIRDS; WITH THE ONE THAT DIED, IN THE HOSPITAL CAGE. THE OTHER 2 MADE OUT FINE. THEY ARE NOW BACK IN WITH THE REST OF MY BABIES AND ARE FLIRTING WITH THE OTHER GOULDIANS. THEY SEEM TO BE READY TO MAKE SOME EGGS. THE FEMALES BEAKS ARE ALMOST TOTALLY BLACK AND MY "STUD" OF A MALE [LOL] :lol: IS DOING HIS DANCE WITH ANYONE WHO WILL WATCH HIM.HE'S A SILVER AND BEAUTIFUL. I WANT TO THANK ALL WHO RESPONDED AND HOPE THAT POSTING THE PROBLEM HELPED OTHERS WHO MAY HAVE COME UP WITH THE SAME THING.