POOP

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

POOP

Post by EmilyHurd » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:06 pm

QUICK QUESTION -

Is it normal for a female society sitting on 5 eggs to have VERY runny BIG poop??

It is like raw egg white runny and really whitish-puke green colored BIG in the center poop.

It doesn't look like normal bird poop to me. The male society in with her is having regular looking poop.

Is it because she is sitting on eggs or could she be sick???

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:14 pm

I was looking at the Gallery and saw the breeding poop compared to the regular poop, and it kind of looks like that except a lot bigger and a lot runnier, and the runny part looks a lot more mucousy* (i don't know how to spell that), like really thick

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Yeah, their poops do look different when they are sitting. The hen doesn't go as often so they really have major poops when they do go.

Now, if what you are seeing really resembles a runny egg, then your hen could be laying soft shell eggs. Which indicates a lack of calcium. My strawberry hen routinely lays these types of eggs. She'll lay 3-4 normal eggs, then one soft shell egg. I have to catch her, put her in a hospital cage with moist heat and a dose of Calciboost.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:04 pm

emily
just make sure they are getting plenty of calcium and they should be ok as tammie says if they are soft shell eggs extra calcium will only do it good and plenty of grit and cuttlefish will help in forming eggs

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:43 pm

Thanks guys!

I don't think they are soft shell eggs. She has laid plenty in the nest and she sits in there ALL DAY long! So they are probably just big poops from sitting.