Fluffed

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Fluffed

Post by Sally H » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 am

Every once in a while my female zebra is all fluffed out. I thought it was maybe a molt thing because her flank feathers are kinda downy looking but lately she fluffs them out so she looks really fat (a pet store clerk would say she's pregnant)

She is about 8 months old and is housed with her mate and two of her 8 week old juvie males. Nobody picks on each other but I noticed the tables have turned and its the babies who hiss and chase away, not the parents. I was trying not to move the babies until they molt into their colors but if they're the cause of this stressed out look I can stick them in a small cage for now.

I've read about what to look for in a sick bird and they all say fluffed but it can mean so many things. She still eats, bathes, flies and perches like normal. I've seen pics of molting gouldians but never one of a zebra and I don't see where any feathers are missing, just fluffed. Sometimes its all the feathers like she's cold (rarer) but it almost always those flank feathers. I'll try to post a pick tonight.

Anythougths?

edit: I cleaned their cage and was shocked at the amount of feathers. Mostly those downy flank ones I mentioned but some long regular ones, too. It must be a full molt (my first exp with one) None of the birds look like they're missing any feathers and she's the only scruffy looking one.

ps. The males look like they're blushing..a gray hen with just a hint of pink on their cheeks.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:07 pm

My canaries and goulds seem to molt the hardest. They replaced more feathers than the usual, fluffy/downy ones I was used to seeing with the zeb's molt. They appreciate additional heat when going through a hard molt.

It's always exciting to see those chicks start to color up when getting their adult feathers.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:46 pm

How long did your zebs molts last? Additional heat?!? It's about 85 degrees in my bedroom now and we don't use the air with the zebs still with us. I keep saying they've got to go back in the dining room but there's still alot of activity going on with various house repairs and they love being in the bedroom. ie they spend Sunday afternoons out on the patio while I clean their cage. It was really hot one day so I gave them their bath incase it was too much for them. My girlfriend sat in the hot sun for over an hour wanting to see the family bathtime (it really is too cute) The birds flew around from shade to sun seeming to be having a great time but they would not go in their bath. When it was over and we carried the cage back inside to their normal spot, they hopped in the bath immediately. hehe I take that as proof positive they prefer to be in the bedroom where even when I'm supposed to be sleeping I can watch em play around.

Twice now while I've ordered other doodads online I've ordered some vitamin supplements to give during molts since I knew it was coming up and both times it didn't come. I'm finally getting those hopper feeders that then entire planet was out of stock on. They should be here this Friday.

Anyways, I do tend to ramble. Thanks for the reply Tammie, I do feel its just a normal molt and she's not sick but I'm such a novice at all this I needed reassurance.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:11 am

You know with the zebs it's difficult to say. They seem to be losing feathers continually... but you can't tell by looking at them. With the goulds the pin feathers were clearly visible and one canary lost all its tail feathers when it last molted.

I don't guess you'd need to add heat if it's already 85. But maybe she would like it to be even warmer, thus the fluffed feathers. If she's eating and acting normal then I wouldn't worry about it. I sometimes notice one or two of my birds are fluffed on occasion. They are fine otherwise, just a bit chilled I guess.

BTW, You are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE those hoppers! ;)

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:28 am

Sorry, the above post is mine. I somehow got logged out. :?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

dearbhail
Pip
Pip

hopper feeders

Post by dearbhail » Wed May 31, 2006 11:02 pm

hi all....where can one purchase or view these hopper feeders you folks are talking about?

thanks!

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed May 31, 2006 11:14 pm

Try www.justbirdstuff.com - they just restocked. You can also check www.redbirdproducts.com (but you'll have to order over the phone).

Hilary

dearbhail
Pip
Pip

hopper feeders and leg question

Post by dearbhail » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm

thanks both Hilary and Crystal for you replies to my posts.

Crystal,
I will keep an eye on my orange cheek, fortunately I work at a vet and one of the technicians here has bird experience, so I might bring my little girl in tomorrow if she isn't better. Other than that, I will go to my bird vet if things don't improve. But thank you...it is so tough to do what is best for these little guys when they can't talk!! Thanks so much for just being you, you are friendly, helpful and a veritable fountain of information!!! I love this site!

Hilary, thanks for the websites...I am at work now on my lunch break but looking forward to going home and perusing those sites!

Dotty