Zebra beaks anf feathers

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
pushtoowala
Pip
Pip

Zebra beaks anf feathers

Post by pushtoowala » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:56 am

I have three new zebras. One is femal and the other 2 are males. Their beaks are a little weird looking. They look kind of dry like chapped lips and one of the males beaks is shaped wierd. I think the bottom half's tip of his beak is kind of growing outward and not growing sraight. What can I do about this to fix up this problem? Should i just give them a cuttlebone and thats it or what?

Their feathers are kind of off looking too. They are more puffly looking than the normal types. Their quality of their beaks is not very good. What should I do to help them have better feathers?

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:39 am

Puffy could mean that they're still stressed from their move to their new home, or could mean that they're sick. They puff their feathers to stay warm. From your description, it doesn't sound like the previous owner was giving them the best nutrition. I'd give them warmth and good food (mashed egg, vegetables, a good seed mix) and hope that they aren't actually sick. When he's feeling better you can work on the beak that is growing wrong with a nail file - if it's not too bad you should be able to reshape it.
Hilary