Hard poop hanging from vent

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Hard poop hanging from vent

Post by queenb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:27 pm

No delicate words to describe my zebra's digestive problems, so here goes: She has been lackluster for 9 days. Kept her in sick cage, but released her when her energy came back...she was very lonely for her mate. Liquid part white, but sometimes her excretions are runny.Vent still dirty, pulled her out a couple times to clean her up, area looks a bit inflamed. Now, the poops are hanging off her feathers. Other feathers are disorderly, dull eyes. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:59 am

Sorry you haven't had any responses. How is your hen doing? So many things can cause the symptoms you're describing.
Hilary

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:36 am

Sorry, I somehow missed your post.

The first thing I would exam is her diet. Have you been feeding lots of fruits or veggies, lettuce perhaps? This could bring on a case of runny poops.

Is she sitting fluffed up?

The disorderly feathers sounds as though she isn't preening, so that could indicate she is seriously ill.

Does her mate pluck her?

I would place her back in isolation with heat. Give her some pedialyte in her drinking water for the diarrhea. But even if she becomes more active, don't remove her for several days at least.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Post by queenb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:58 pm

Thank you both for your concern. I was "winging" it on my own....I put her out when her energy came back, but she is back inside as of today (coincidently as Tammieb suggested.) The pet stores were all closed and I had run out of Marvil Aid (I don't think Crystal is to whipped up on that stuff), but used on-hand vitaflight until I can get to the store tomorrow...pedialyte is a great idea...I will pick some up. Do you think that would duplicate VitaFlight's value? I wanted to bring in her mate to keep her calm...Do you think this kind of thing contagious? None of the other's seem to be affected.

Anyway I hate to loose another bird....my other zebra hen died from pox last month...and this bird (Doedo) and her mate are very close.

At least I am becoming more aware of their subtle characteristics. My husband had thought I was being a little neurotic, but then I pointed out her dull eyes, unkempt nature and sedentary behaviour and today he agreed she didn't look so hot. She looks better now that she is warm. It was a little damp outside today.

I just love those little things! (PS: did you see the pictures of my new additions to the flight cage?)

queenb