crippled bird

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
may
Pip
Pip

crippled bird

Post by may » Sun May 07, 2006 5:52 pm

we've moved the little house sparrow fledgeling we found (see general questions) out of his shoebox. he's been eating and singing and seems healthy and happy, except it looks like his feet are paralyzed. i have a feeling he was born this way because he seems pretty well adapted - he walks around on his elbows and can even manages a wobbly perch (on his elbows, too). i imagine this is why his parents abandoned him...

1. have you ever heard of something like this happening before?
2. what should we do? obviously he won't likely be a wild bird, but could he live happily walking around on his elbows, unable to perch?

thank you!

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun May 07, 2006 6:51 pm

When my finches have babies, the babies are ill adept at using their feet until they are old enough to fledge--if this baby fell out of the nest early, he might just not be ready to use his toes. However, if he does have a problem, he can live a happy life as a caged bird adapted to use his "elbows" (actually "hock" or the equivalent to the human ankle). You will want to provide wide flat "shelves" as perches in his enclosure when he's ready.

Good luck!

may
Pip
Pip

Post by may » Sun May 07, 2006 6:55 pm

thanks crystal. that's good to know. this doesn't look like un-muscled baby feet. his toes are clenched up... maybe that's a finch thing? i haven't seen baby finch feet, just parrotlets.

we're going to take him to the wildlife rescue. they said it could be metabolic bone something-er-other, or "sway legs" (?) or any number of things. if it's treatable, he should get the treatment, right? i just don't want him put down because he seems to be compensating and very active and alert. he doesn't seem like a lost cause.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun May 07, 2006 6:57 pm

You can have them look at him but I wouldn't put him down either if you are prepared to keep him as a pet regardless of whatever problem his feet may have.

may
Pip
Pip

Post by may » Sun May 07, 2006 7:03 pm

that's exactly it. i wouldn't mind keeping him as a pet, provided he stops sending out distress calls! i think that's what he was doing anyway. we moved him close to the window to get some sun and he cheeped and cheeped for almost an hour until a male i assumed to be his father showed up and almost flew into the apartment. knowing now that his parents will come when called, i would try putting him back outside if it weren't for his feet...

may
Pip
Pip

Post by may » Sun May 07, 2006 7:45 pm

i've been reading up on metabolic bone disease and splayed legs, and it's definitely NOT splayed legs. i really think it's MBD though. it makes sense and all that it took was a bad diet (either the chick's, or the hen's before laying the egg). i just can't find any photos of what it looks like so i'm not sure. it sounds like a good diet with lots of calcium and vitamin D can stop and even correct the problem. crystal, you don't have any idea what it looks like do you? the reason i suspect that it's MBD is that i saw him stretch out his wings and use them for support a couple times.

may
Pip
Pip

Post by may » Sun May 07, 2006 11:10 pm

just an update, he had to be put down because his legs were fractured. i hope that was the right thing. thanks for your help today crystal! he did eat a lot so i know i did that right -- ground eggshells and everything.

alwaysfullofjoy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by alwaysfullofjoy » Mon May 08, 2006 9:41 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about the little one. I wish I would have found this thread sooner. The other board I am a member of helps Starlings and Sparrows on a daily basis and all are beloved pets. If we can raise for release we do but that is not always an option. Just for your info you should check the site out sometime.http://www.starlingtalk.net/phpBB2/index.php I hope it will let you enjoy it.
April, Ugly, & Monster (The Starlings)

may
Pip
Pip

Post by may » Tue May 09, 2006 11:44 am

thanks for that link! i would have kept him as a pet if i knew he wouldn't have been in chronic pain. i guess baby birds break their legs when they fall 12 feet onto concrete. i can't believe he was so healthy otherwise! it was a horrible decision to make and i'd rather have kept him as a pet...

alwaysfullofjoy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by alwaysfullofjoy » Tue May 09, 2006 8:43 pm

It happens and you did what was best. My Ugly had a heck of a fall too thank God she was ok her sib on the other hand broke its wing. In the future though you know what to do. Right now I have a dove because I can't get a rehabber to take it.
April, Ugly, & Monster (The Starlings)