sexing society finch

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
ptjmcconnell
Pip
Pip

sexing society finch

Post by ptjmcconnell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi , can anyone give me any help on sexing society finch would appreciate any tips

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: sexing society finch

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Visually it's virtually impossible to sex bengalese / society finches as they are all monomorphic,

One of the easiest and best ways is to get two birds, place one bird per small cage and keep the birds out of site for an hour or so,
after a short while now face the cages towards each other and you'll see that a lot of the time if any of the birds are cocks they'll normally start to sing at one another,
Also if yer hearing is acute the calls notes of the birds are usually 1 note for cocks and 2 quick notes for hens
Last edited by Stuart whiting on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: sexing society finch

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm

ptjmcconnell

Societies, are not easy to sex, seeing as both genders look very much the same.

What I do, is listen for a bird to sing. If it's puffing up and singing, you have yourself a boy. If it chirps like a cricket, you've got yoursel a girl.

Now how to get a response from a bird that just sit's there doing neither?

What I do is play this to the bird and see what it does. Most males, will respond by singing back, while females will just look interested. It might take a bit of time, but it does work...

Male Society Finches singing:

https://youtu.be/5bjRn5bMYH4

https://youtu.be/4o47X6AQI-Q

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~