hecks finch breeding problems

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
ptjmcconnell
Pip
Pip

hecks finch breeding problems

Post by ptjmcconnell » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:45 am

Hi , I live in Northern Ireland and keep many types of finches . having no luck with my hecks finches i have about 30 birds in a mixed aviary they are in great condition they pair up build great nests lay fertile eggs and hatch them out only to let them starve some clutches live a week or more but ultimately they end up on the aviary floor dead.I have raised only 2 chicks this year from the hecks. all my other birds breed well . i feed well balanced diet greens egg food soaked seed and mealworms just dont understand my failure , can anyone help.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: hecks finch breeding problems

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 am

I can't help you with your questions, I don't have an aviary and I don't have Heck's. Hopefully, someone else on the forum will have some answers for you. I did want to welcome you to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to answer locale-specific questions later on.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

ptjmcconnell
Pip
Pip

sexing society finch

Post by ptjmcconnell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi, anyone have any tips on sexing society finch would appreciate any help .

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: hecks finch breeding problems

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm

ptjmcconnell

Regarding Societies, I responded in your other Thread.

Regarding Shaft Tails and breeding issues:

Personally whenever I've had problems with community breeding, I'll pull individual pairs into a cage or small flight on their own.

I have found that in most situations, they tend to settle down and concentrate on nesting, laying and raising the babies much better in those conditions.

Some species in community, tend to concentrate too much on chasing other birds away and protecting their nest sites, rather than focusing on their family obligations.

By the way, welcome to the Forum from Canada.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~