Enticing Breeding

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Carlisle
Pip
Pip

Enticing Breeding

Post by Carlisle » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Curious about breeding pairs in mixed aviary. I have a pair of owls in a flight cage currently. I have some zebras I am debating putting in with them and wonder if, since zebras breed so prolifically, will they encourage the owls to breed due to their own breeding?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Enticing Breeding

Post by Sheather » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:40 pm

I don't think so - they will probably discourage them more than anything, as zebras are quite aggressive, and tend to evict other birds from their own nests.
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 pm

I agree with Dylan they can be horrible and what I’ve heard of owls they won’t try to hold them off and will give in easy
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:19 am

Carlisle

I wouldn't place Zebras with Owls.

If you want your Owls to breed, provide them with a nest box, a diet of good quality seeds, eggs, egg shells, mealworms, and greens, veggies, along with spray millet, fortified grit, cuttle bone, and daily baths.

Make sure they have peace and quiet, without any interference from other species or nest checks, and let them do their thing.

Zebras, as was already mentioned by others, tend to be nosey busy bodies at best, and downright aggressive at their worst, plus they can hybridize with Owls, which is not something you want to do.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Carlisle
Pip
Pip

Post by Carlisle » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:48 am

All great info. Thanks. I’ll keep them separate.