First time breeder of finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: First time breeder of finches

Post by lem2bert » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

All five bleu babies are doing fine. I have been trying to get a picture of them, they are so cute!!! I am getting tired from constantly maintaining a dish full of egg food and egg shells, and keeping a dish full of mealworms, but those little babies are having the time of their life exploring their new world. I have to be very careful when I am in there cleaning, had one land on my slipper and must have thought it was very comfortable cuz he just sat there looking up at me while I talked to him. Two of them were playing in the bath water for the first time today.

Waiting for the gouldian babies to come out now, two are sitting right at the opening of the nest so it should be any day now.

I originally thought that I might try to find homes for them, but I have plenty of room so I may just keep them all !! :D
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:14 pm

lem2bert
Hey Lem. When I was doing research for a pet I wanted I came across something cool about feeding meal-worms and crickets. If you decide to feed crickets as well you'll want to purchase a ceramic bowl with a glossy finish that is at least 2 inches deep. Neither the crickets or meal-worms can get traction so the crickets can't jump away. they and the meal-worms are sitting waiting to be eaten.
Attachments
51X1UpJb1zL._SL1000_.jpg

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:31 pm

lem2bert

Glad to hear that all the babies are doing well.

They all sound adorable, and I'm looking forward to the pictures.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:28 pm

FinchLover&Breeder

Wow....I have bowls just like that for mealworms , pellets, oyster shells, and herb salad. They are the nicest bowls, Thank-you for sharing :D

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:28 pm

lovezebs

Thank-you I am posting some pictures, not sure how clear, but I tried to get a few.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:34 pm

DSCN2225.JPG
DSCN2226.JPG
DSCN2223.JPG
DSCN2220.JPG
Red cheeked bleu babies.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm

lem2bert

Betty the kids looks fantastic. :YMDAYDREAM: I know you are having a blast right now!

a_gouldian
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by a_gouldian » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Congratulations!
Gouldians, Red-faced Stars, Owl Finches, Blue-capped Cordon Bleus

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:56 pm

a_gouldian@Babs

Thank-you both very much !! I am having a blast watching them grow. One came down with the dad this morning to the fresh food and egg tray and was pecking at the fresh egg. They try out their wings and try to fly from one tree to the other, but Dad gets annoyed and him and mom round them up !!! Mom and Dad always seem to want them to close them and they are doing a good job feeding them. They sure go through a lot of mealworms. :-@

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:28 am

lem2bert

Oh my goodness, Betty, look at those little darlings. They are absolutely adorable <3 :YMHUG: .

The look to be in great shape, and I'm glad to hear that the parents are being so attentive with them. This will teach them in the long run, to be good parents in their own right.

I sure got a laugh over how tthe parents round them up to stay close. It takes me back in years to when I was shopping with my boys, and always having to remind them to stay with me and not run off somewhere, lol.

I'm so glad you're enjoying them.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:15 am

lovezebs

Thank-you so much ! I had to laugh when I read the post about your boys , I remember trying to keep my daughter close to me when she was little. It was kind of hard to shop and do that at the same time :D
I got very lucky as they seem to be excellent parents. I plan on keeping these little ones as they were born as close to wild as you can get, they have no idea what a cage is. If I were to do it again it would be in cages. I feel it would be so much easier to clean the room. I am enjoying watching them explore their new world,, when Mom and Dad let them !! :D

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:53 am

lem2bert
lem2bert wrote: lovezebs

Thank-you so much ! I had to laugh when I read the post about your boys , I remember trying to keep my daughter close to me when she was little. It was kind of hard to shop and do that at the same time :D
I got very lucky as they seem to be excellent parents. I plan on keeping these little ones as they were born as close to wild as you can get, they have no idea what a cage is. If I were to do it again it would be in cages. I feel it would be so much easier to clean the room. I am enjoying watching them explore their new world,, when Mom and Dad let them !! :D
Hi Betty,

Are you saying then that cages are better than a free flight room, or did I miss understand your comment?
~Elana~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am

lovezebs

:oops: I really enjoy the bird room as much as the birds do. If I were to breed again, it would be in cages. Certain areas of the room are harder to clean with nests and babies in the branches

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 am

lem2bert

Ahh, ok, got you now.

Any baby Gouldians popping out yet?
~Elana~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:50 pm

lovezebs

Actually yes !! :D There are two nests with Gouldian babies in them. One baby fledged yesterday from one nest, and one baby fledged today from another nest !!

I was able to get a picture of the baby that fledged yesterday, but it came out dark, I will post it anyway. Maybe I can get a better picture over the weekend. I am charging my camera batteries.

Another bright note .....baby bleus are coming down to the treat table and pecking at whatever is there. I am going to try sitting real quiet and get some pictures. Such an exciting time and I am loving every minute of it !! :D