Breeding Java Finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Breeding Java Finches

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Icearstorm

Hahahaha! I think MOST male finches look bored while the hens are broody on eggs. Can't upset or startle the Mrs. B-(

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:32 pm

First egg! Odd that it took this long...

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:40 pm

If your male Java is bored, put a swing in, especially the ones with beads or tiny crystals along the sides. Then add a thin bird safe leather strip to each end of the swing at the bottom. My Java hen loves it! She also loves a hollow plastic tiny ball shaped toy I put on the floor. They like oat sprays too.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:53 pm

wildbird

That's a good idea; I might have to try that. Oddly enough, my societies like oats more than my Java finches.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Icearstorm

Any more egg babies?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:14 pm

lovezebs

Not yet. She's been spending most of her time in the box for the last few days, though.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Still only one egg. Here's the current setup:
Attachments
image.jpeg

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Now there are no eggs...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:14 am

Icearstorm

What on earth ? :shock: What happened???
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:00 am

lovezebs

I'm not exactly sure, but I imagine they must have eaten it. The cuttlebone somehow made its way into the nest box, as well, despite being tied to the cage bars.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Icearstorm

I'm sorry that it didn't work out this time around :( .

Hopefully things will turn out better next time.

I would add extra calcium to their diet if I were you... just a thought.
~Elana~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 pm

lovezebs

I currently have the cuttlebone and a gravity feeder of ground oyster shell, plus the calcium supplements I occasionally put on the soft food. Maybe Birb is just old? That would explain why I only saw evidence of two eggs.

I can't seem to figure out what seed they're eating; I replaced the pure millet with a mix after they tossed most of it. They seemed to be eating more of the mix for a day, and then started tossing most of it out, as well. Perhaps I ought to put the seed in a dish so I determine what they are actually eating.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:00 am

Icearstorm

Any sign of any new eggs?

Regarding the seeds. I feed a mixture of Finch/Canary with some Budgie, to all of the kids, and they eat most of it just fine. When available, I add wild seeds, which I collect myself. Everyone enjoys spray millet on a fairly regular basis. Occasionally I will buy and add some German millet and Gold millet just for fun when they're available, along with Safflour seeds.
~Elana~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Icearstorm I was just looking at this article on Javas, and it mentioned that this species does better in an aviary rather than a cage. Of course, any species will do better in an aviary, they love the extra space, but I was wondering if it may be the size of your cage. It looks to be either 24x16x16 or 30x18x18. Perhaps if you could give them more space, that might help. This article also says they like a good parakeet mix.

http://www.finchinfo.com/birds/finches/ ... parrow.php
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:53 pm

lovezebs and Sally

I'm feeding them a parakeet/small bird mix, and it looks like they're mainly eating the canary seeds. I tried giving them oats again, and they ate a bit, though they didn't seem terribly interested. They also have black oil sunflower; they used to love it, but now ignore it.

There are still no eggs, though Birb acts like she is sitting tight. Unfortunately, this is the only other cage I can fit, and I think it's too risky to try breeding them in the flight with the societies and gouldians. If nothing happens in the next few weeks, I'll call it quits and put them in with the others without the nest box.