Raffia nests

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: Raffia nests

Post by kyle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:42 pm

lovezebs
Great job Elana! The first few baskets I did the same thing where I just change directions where the hole started and went back and forth. Now I make a loop so as to have a frame to wrap the Raffia around as I change direction. It gives more structure.
Attachments
IMG_0940.JPG
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:23 am

kyle

Here are my first 3 nests.

They are starting to slowly take better shape (I think ?)
Attachments
20171205_220643.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 am

lovezebs
Your finches are going to love them! :D
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:23 am

kyle

Thanks Kyle,

This is so much fun, I love it. It's taking up a lot of spare moments, and my fingers are getting sore, lol.

I'm so glad you shared this idea with us.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:48 am

lovezebs kyle Rob

Looking good Elana! =D> Thats gotta be great for rehabbing that stiff finger of yours!

Nice idea Rob about adding holiday colors. Cant wait to see them.

Interesting nest building class in session. Thanks Kyle!

About how long does it take to weave one of these?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

Babs

Hl Babsi,

Glad you like our talents.

For me, crippled finger and all :roll: , it takes let's say an evening, depending on the size of the nest, etc. The thing is, that it's not something that I do in one sitting, as there are always things in between, so it's really difficult to give an actual time frame.

It actually isn't helping the finger :( although I'd hoped that it might. It makes it cramp and hurt :(( but I'm enjoying it non the less #-o .

You should try it, while talking to clients over the phone. I'd bet the Java contingent whould be right in there giving you a hand, lol.
~Elana~

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Babs

I did it in steps too. First I started by making a long rope, by wrapping raffia around some other strands, and adding more as I went for more length, until I felt it was long enough (it wasn't, and next time I'll leave it more open so I can increase the length as needed).

Next I did the initial coil/stitching. For some reason I found this to be the most tedious and felt like taking a break after.

Then I figured out a good system for stitching, and while my kids watched a show I sat with them and finished the basket. My youngest wanted to help so I let her pull the needle through as I stitched, and before I knew it I was done. Once it starts to take shape it's seems really quick.

Probably a couple of hours total.

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Babs lovezebs Rob
thanks Babs. It usually takes me an evening or so to make one. You're right Elana after a while it's hard on the fingers and you have to give it a break. if it becomes difficult to pull the needle through i use a small pair of pliers. Make sure the Nests are deep enough from the entry hole so that the babies are not knocked out of the nest. i've also learned to make a top that is removable so that it is easier to clean or see the babies. this is the latest one. :D
Attachments
IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0945.JPG
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:04 pm

lovezebs

Im loving the craft. I wish I could while Im working, but I am also typing constantly doing data entry for my clients.

The Javas get a little over zealous and decide to play "birdus interruptus" (I made up my own latin), and they mob and nip my fingers and try to bang on the keys with their faces. :-L

I have to shooo them away, and they come right back instantly more determined to intervene like a pack of magpies. :-T

Thats when I go get a bowl of eggs shells so they will eat some chips and let me work. #:-S

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:43 am

kyle

The removable top is a great idea.

I'll have to give it a try as well.

Not so sure how well these will clean out, after a clutch of poopin' peepers will finish with them, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough, lol.

Have you figured out a good way to attach them to the bars of a flight yet?
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 am

Babs

Aww, it sounds like your work days will never be boring again Sweetie. You should video them helping you one day. I bet it would be a hoot :lol: .
~Elana~

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:13 am

lovezebs Babs
the nests clean out surprisingly well. There is an oily substance on the raffia which is apparently harmless but makes them easy to clean. I usually use a stiff Dry brush like a hard old toothbrush and it cleans them out very well. as for hanging the nest i use a bent piece of wire push it through the raffia and then bend the ends into a hook. I like it because it secures the nest without any movement.
Babs I have to laugh at the idea of trying to accomplish anything when the birds are assisting. LOL.
Attachments
bent into hooks
bent into hooks
how it looks inside the nest
how it looks inside the nest
The wire I use
The wire I use
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:53 am

kyle

Thanks Kyle.
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:52 am

lovezebs kyle

I bet a big twisty tie would work well too. I use those for the society nests. The clips they come with never secure the nests tightly.

I'll try and get a video when I can. They are busy little critters.

Thora (was Thor but he's a she so renamed), will wait for just the right time and nip me hard! Ouch!

Then she defiantly stands on the desk and I gently grab her beak between my fingers and hold it and tell her "no". She wont fly away at all. She makes herself real tall as if to show me she's the boss and goes in for another round. Its a wicked little game for her. :twisted:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:01 am

Babs

Good morning Sweetie,

Yes twist ties are much more secure than the hooks that store bought nests come with. I've actually had some nests fall down when I relied on those hooks (luckily there was nothing in those nests.

Regarding bird bites, I had a Forbes Parrot Finch give me a good nip on the ear, when I listened to his chest while transfering him from one flight to another :(( :)) . He almost broke the skin, the little poop head.
~Elana~