Forbes Parrot Finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Forbes Parrot Finches

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:30 am

MariusStegmann wrote: isobea Bluecaps are certainly available here, but are terribly expensive. I expect to pay about R900 for a pair ($73 US). Here is a picture of a bluecap chick bred by Christo Kritsinger (also a member of finchforum). They fledged 2 days ago.
Fantastic Marius, big congrats to yer mate is in order, well done =D>

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:07 am

Stuart whiting Christo is in the fortunate position to be able to feed termites regularly to his birds. Termites makes a big difference. My pair kept making nests in unlikely places. The first one was in the open area of the aviary, in between the grass on the ground, where it got rained out. Their other attempts resulted in dud eggs.
Marius

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 am

MariusStegmann

Thanks for the information on the Forbes Marius.

They are extremely active little birds, always on the move, and LOVE their baths like all PF's, which is good for any planned future eggs (as it is extremely dry over here).

I do wish they were not as nervous and flighty though, but I guess that's the nature of the species. If or when I do end up with any youngsters, I would try to handle them a bit, with the hope to calm them down somewhat.

By the way, congratulations to cjkrit Christo, on his lovely Bluecap babies, absolutely super cute =D> .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 am

A few more pictures of the kids. Sadly they are not the best, as these silly guys won't sit still for a second, never mind a minute... ~X( .
Attachments
IMG_20171207_010058.jpg
IMG_20171207_011205.jpg
IMG_20171207_011407.jpg
IMG_20171207_010956.jpg
IMG_20171207_010349.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm

MariusStegmann - Marius, just found the picture you posted of that lovely little blue cap boy. Congratulations to Cristo! Blue caps here, when available, are about $60 each. So $73 for a pair seems downright cheap. I wonder if they will ever start importing them again. Or if by then my male will be too old to breed.

lovezebs - Elana, another day of Santa Ana winds and terribly destructive fires around the LA area. I'm hoping they will spare us down here this time around.
Watching the high level of energy and constant movement of my hybrid PF in my 16 foot aviary, I admire that you can keep your PFs happy and healthy in cages. They look like they are in top condition.
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 pm

isobea

Thanks Iso,

The little flying monkeys are doing well, and are very active indeed.

How I envy you your aviary, and so wish that it was possible over here, sigh... :mrgreen: . I am still toying with the idea of a free flight room, but just can't get up the energy to get going on it.

I was just thinking of you today, while listening to the news about these awful fires, and hoping that it's no where near to where you are. Poor people, and poor animals in the region, so so sad.

We are having amazing weather for December. Today the temperatures are supposed to go up to 10C, a real heat wave for us at this time of the year.
~Elana~