Detailed Handfeeding for Newbies

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
annague
Proven
Proven

Re: Detailed Handfeeding for Newbies

Post by annague » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 am

It IS heartbreaking to accidentally cause a death with a small chick. But overall, learning this skill you will save many chicks that may not have had a chance at life otherwise.

Some folks are fortunate enough to have Societies that will nurture other birds chicks at ANY stage. I am not so fortunate :wink: but I can always hand-feed.
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:13 am

I think it would be really helpful to add some photos/videos documenting how to properly handfeed chicks - especially brand new/day old chicks. I'm trying to handfeed newborn chicks right now (I absolutely detest handfeeding such young chicks) and I'm finding myself questioning if I'm feeding enough as it's been awhile since I've handfed brand new chicks. I prefer at minimum, five days old chicks and that's intervening only if necessary as handfeeding is a unnecessary chore if parents will raise their own chicks. I'm perplexed as I can't get much into the crops of these newborn chicks.....if they don't make it, at least I know I tried. I just wish I knew how much was enough/normal to feed. Perhaps a feed/crop chart? #-o
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 am

I'm sure it depends on species. I have not handfed any of the larger species, like Gouldians, Societies, etc., so I don't have experience with them, but with the tiny waxbills, a full drop is almost too much at first! And with the waxbills, you find they have a tubular crop, so it doesn't look the same as other species, which will have a very rounded crop. The tubular crop is a little harder to tell if they are getting enough. When I use the banding tool, I would get a tiny amount in the groove end, and then wipe it off on my finger till there was just a little bit left--you don't want a big, rounded drop, as that is more than the little one can swallow at once. If it is a waxbill, you can look closely at the baby while it is on its back after you have fed, and you will see a thin light line going down its neck--that is the creamy color of the formula in its crop. And when newly-hatched, it is better to feed more often that first day or two, every 1 to l-1/2 hours with small amounts. Newly-hatched are the only ones I will feed during the night, primarily because I can't stuff them before bedtime!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 am

Thank you for sharing your information and experience with waxbills. I've handfed day old zebra finches before but it's been awhile and I hardly remember anything from that ordeal as I was getting very little-sporadic sleep since I was literally feeding every hour/two hours for the first 5 days. It almost feels like a nightmare/dream now that I think back to it as I think sleep deprivation is one of the cruelest forms of punishment. :? I try to think of it as a "labor of love" kind of thing. For newbies to handfeeding, I think it's important to document via-pictures/videos if possible as I believe there are many visual learners out there. I think things like the fact that when handfeeding newborns, the food will go to only one side of the crop should be noted so that newbies do not freak out that they are not feeding enough. I'm currently handfeeding with a toothpick and usually feed with a toothpick till weaning stage but plan on eventually using a dropper/syringe after two weeks this time around as feeding with a toothpick for the entire duration of the handfeeding period is a slow process. If anyone has any information to share, I encourage them to do so as I personally feel that all finch breeders/keepers should have basic knowledge of handfeeding in case of a emergency as this is a "life saving" skill. :)
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 pm

I just handfed a newborn RCCB to fledging and it's amazing how quickly their little crops fill just from the formula on the tip of a toothpick! Just 2-3 'gulps' and they are done most of the time.

I do want to say that I think aspiration is caused by too much too quick so I normally use something with a very limited amount of food available to the chick, (toothpick tip) and/or I give the formula very, very slowly esp. with the newborn chicks.

It would be great to have pictures of the entire process... I'd have to see if I could my husband to take some pictures next time I'm doing it -- but he travels a lot so that's not a likely possibility any time soon... :(

Hopefully someone will come up with something soon...
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

nofred
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by nofred » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:43 am

I'm one of the newbies to hand feeding and my biggest question/challenge is the amount of air in the crops. At what point does this need to be addressed by burping? My Zebs seem to have a lot of air, but I think it may be related to the thickness of the food. I have seen a reference to a different brand formula that is rice based, but the only comment was that it mixed easier.
Anyone have experience with both brands or know how to not get so much air?
Norwood
21-Normal Grey Zebras, 2-Fawn Zebras, 1-Fawn/Pied Zebra, 2-Society (self), 3-Society (chocolate pied), 2-Society (cream/pied), 1 Holy Terrier; 17 Goldfish, 2 Bullfrogs

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:59 am

I wouldn`t switch foods once you have already started.
Add a little more water to water it down if you are feeling that the formula is too thick.
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 pm

I agree. Don't switch cereal brands in the middle of feeding out some youngsters -- I like Lefeber's because the rice based formula (LeFeber's) is easier for the babies to digest.

As long as you don't see any ongoing problems from the air in the crop and the crops are emptying out between feedings you don't have to worry too much about the air.

Some babies I 'burped' did very well with the burping and others I couldn't get to burp at all! :lol: Regardless, many people never 'burp' and the air doesn't seem to cause major problems...
Anna

nofred
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by nofred » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 pm

I switched to a dropper I found at a drug store. It has a small and angled tip that works really well, but keeping the air out of it is a pain!
Day 9 and all 3 babes have started showing eyes! I am also done with night feeding. Last one for the day at 11 pm, then 1st at 5 am. They seem to do pretty well with the 2 to 3 hours between during the day.
I do have one more question I have not seen anyone mention: Water. It seems as though they could use a drop or 2 to hydrate.
Any comments?
Norwood
21-Normal Grey Zebras, 2-Fawn Zebras, 1-Fawn/Pied Zebra, 2-Society (self), 3-Society (chocolate pied), 2-Society (cream/pied), 1 Holy Terrier; 17 Goldfish, 2 Bullfrogs

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:24 am

I hope you are proud of yoursellf and the wonderful job you are doing so far =D>
As for water, they are getting all the hydration they need from the handfeeding formula.
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

nofred
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by nofred » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply Janine. I only asked because of comments about not night feeding and the parents possibly giving a little liquid at night. If they do, it may also contain things to help with immunities. Just wondering.
Norwood

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:17 pm

The only liquid my handfeds get is the water added to their formula--I never give them water separately. If I suspect they are getting a yeast infection, then I add some baby applesauce to the formula, and then thin with water. When they are in the brooder at the higher temps, I set a small cup of water (or a wet wrung-out dishcloth) off to the side in the brooder, to make the air more humid--this will help them keep from drying out too much.

Flight of Fancy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Flight of Fancy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 pm

I know at the pet store when we hand fed the baby hookbills sometimes they would mix pedialyte (I know I am spelling that wrong...) or apple juice along with the water. Mostly to hydrate new or sick babies and help with the electrolytes. I've used it on occasion with babies I found tossed with completely empty crops. Has anyone else ever used anything like that or just the water?

In fact thinking back we may have given a few babies plain yogurt or fruit flavored yogurt as well...

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am

Speaking for myself (besides baby applesauce if necessary) I don't add anything with any kind of sugar (even natural) because of yeast concerns... I may be more paranoid than necessary but that's just me. :)
Anna

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 am

annague wrote:Speaking for myself (besides baby applesauce if necessary) I don't add anything with any kind of sugar (even natural) because of yeast concerns... I may be more paranoid than necessary but that's just me. :)
I agree, Anna, yeast can be a real problem in handfeeding, lots easier to try to prevent it than cure it. I also only use the baby applesauce if I suspect yeast. I do use pedialyte in place of plain water when the babies are newly-hatched, for the first day, or if I find an older baby that is very dehydrated.