Detailed Handfeeding for Newbies

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Detailed Handfeeding for Newbies

Post by finchmix22 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:29 am

Anna,
Thanks for the help. We now have three hatchlings! The youngest/littlest is not really eating yet, as it only partially hatched and is really, really tiny! The other two are eating, especially the first hatchling, who eats a lot! That one begs. The second hatchling sometimes begs but is still too weak to lift the head/neck. If I brush the side of the beak, it will open to eat.
I am concerned for the tiniest and newest, but I did force feed twice today. They all are wiggling when I touch the nest material, so they seem to be alert for their age.
You are right about time consuming. The oldest eats about every hour to hour and a half. I just get done and settled to read or go online and it is time again.
I hope I can get up tonight to feed them at least once or twice. Here's praying again.
Thanks. :mrgreen:
DEBORAH

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun May 08, 2011 9:08 am

I missed these posts completely! Good luck with the hatchlings, Deborah! It is definitely time-consuming, but it does get easier, as after the first few days, you can stretch it out a bit (plus sleep thru the night). I found that every two hours worked well, and even when I was late getting home (stretching it to three hours), they were fine. They will start to beg as they get stronger, but for now, usually just brushing or tapping their beak will get them to open up.

Good luck with it!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:32 am

Sally,
Thanks. I was able to put the hatchlings in with out Society finches, that are sitting on five eggs and are due to hatch next week. So far, they are feeding the hatchlings. They tossed one yesterday, but we put it back and so far, they have kept all three and fed them today too. =D> [-o< I pray they continue to be such great foster parents and parents to their own hatchlings next week.
DEBORAH

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Mon May 09, 2011 8:02 pm

That is so great, Deborah. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it once you start doing it. Just keep a close eye on them -- and hopefully they will all strengthen up and make it through. :)
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:06 am

Well, very sad today. :cry: I came home from work and found all three GS hatchlings dead. The Society finches apparently buried them underneath the eggs and did not feed them today or last night, I guess. We are crushed! They were so precious. Now, I'm not sure what to expect with their own eggs next week. Hmmm.
DEBORAH

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Tue May 10, 2011 5:57 am

So sorry for your loss :cry:
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:11 am

so sorry :cry:
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:13 am

Thank you for the condolences. It helps to know people understand, after we put so much effort into these birds and babies. :(
DEBORAH

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 pm

So sorry for your loss, Deborah!
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:19 pm

I have another gouldian tossling.
How do you feed the chick in the first few days, when the food is so wattery? It won't stick to the toothpick and the syringe crop needle is HUGE compared to its mouth.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:29 pm

I would use a banding tool, it's like a tiny spoon
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:45 pm

Success....whew
I made the food thicker, so it could stick to the toothpick.
I picked up a tiny amount, similar to 1/2 drop of water, and put it in its begging mouth, and it sucked/wipped the food off the toothpick.

The next hard part.
How to determine how much/little to feed it?
I know I don't want to keep feeding until it stops begging.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Feeding Gouldians is different than the waxbills that I feed, with their tubular crops, but I have heard that a breeder who has handfed lots says that the crop should never be bigger than the head. I know that I killed a lot of babies at first by overfeeding, because I fed as long as they begged. Just like us, they don't always know what is best for themselves. Not much help, I know, maybe some of the others who have handfed Gouldians will chime in.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Tue May 31, 2011 9:33 pm

I don't feed ANY chick all that they ask but I make sure I can view the food in the crop -- that the crop is somewhat distended -- I make a note of the amount and I increase it only slowly. I know that is very non-specific but you kind of develop a 'feel' for how much individual chicks can handle based off of age and size.

Candace would probably be the one to ask about hand-feeding Gouldians, specifically -- that is something I haven't done -- yet. :)
Anna

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Sally
I have seen some of my chicks raised by the societies with their crops BIGGER than their head. It was kind of scary wondering if they were feeding too much.
It is the first few days that I'm most worried about, since the crop is so small at that age. Right now (just hatched today and 1 day old) I am feeding till I see the food in the crop but not till the crop is swelling. Then I feed them again about 1 to 1-1/2hr later.
Gary

red factor canary