Bengalese Finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Luke Harrison1992
Hatchling
Hatchling

Bengalese Finches

Post by Luke Harrison1992 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:43 am

I have just bought a pair of Bengalese finches at the pet shop and am hoping to breed them in a cage with four other zebras i have two questions and hope for any thoughts
1. Will they be ok with the zebs(i was told by the pet shop lady that they will)?
2. Will they breed with zebras?
3. how do you tell what sex they are i have heard one doing a strange sort of song?

P.S I thoght there were two q's

LucyLover
Pip
Pip

Post by LucyLover » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:01 pm

Hey! Alright, I'm a beginner, but I know this info will be useful.
I bought a male Society (Bengalese) finch from a petshop to fill an empty cage. I had heard that finches are happier in groups, even mixed species. Well, I saw a male Zebra with clubbed feet (both of them) and now they are the best of friends. Actually, the society turned out to be female and now they are breeding. If ypu keep an eye on the posts called New owner-need help please!!!! or something like that, I have posted questions about the two species breeding. I can't help with the sexing part though. Sorry and Good Luck!

PS. If you have the societies paired up already I'm guessing they won't breed with the zebras. :roll:
"Never place a period where God has placed a comma." ~Gracie Allen

God Bless!
Grace R.
SW Michigan

Luke Harrison1992
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Luke Harrison1992 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:01 pm

They wernt an established pair in the shop but i have only heard/seen one singing so i am assuming that the are male and female

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:11 am

I have zebras and society finches but i keep all my bird pairs in seperate cages. zebra's can be aggressive with each other if they are in too close quarters, so i don't want to over crowd them.

The society finch is a totally different kind of finch then the zebra finch, I know they can interbreed with each other, but I would not do it on purpose. If I am not mistaken all the offspring will be sterile from this mix anyway.

The only way that I am sure to tell the males from females in the society finch is to watch the behaviour (sp?) of the finches and to listen for the males song. He will dance and sing a song whenever a female or a new bird is added to the flock.
Thank you,
Tina

Luke Harrison1992
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Luke Harrison1992 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:43 pm

Damni missed a good oppourtunity then today as i had to get a new zebra because one of mine died (presumably) from flying into a wall, when i found it its neck was at a realy bad angle

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:59 pm

That's a chance you take when you allow your birds to fly about the house.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Luke Harrison1992
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Luke Harrison1992 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:36 pm

no it was in my aviary and it must have flown into a wall i got a new one and told da woman at the petshop and she sed that they do fly into the bars and stuff alot