1st zebra finch chick questions....

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: 1st zebra finch chick questions....

Post by Willow » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks, there are a couple problems though.

The chick is being cared for but it seems the normal grey female has taken over and the white female zebra does not seem to be caring for the chick anymore. I was certain the white one was the "Mom" as she was always in there but now the grey one is always in the nest. I see her feeding the baby as well. I don't know if she stole the nest/baby or if the other one lost interest..

Also, the baby seems to be doing well, being fed, moving around etc but I noticed one "wing" looked damaged on the end as if it was pinched. I don't know if it got hurt somehow. I don't know if I should try moving the 2 that are not the parents out but I even if I should I don't know which that would be. :(
''Everyone has ocean's to fly, if they have the heart to do it. Is it reckless? Maybe. But what do dreams know of boundaries?'' ― Amelia Earhart

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:55 pm

Personally, as long as the chick is being fed, I'd leave things as they are. Sometimes, when we change things while the babies are still in the nest, it causes them to abandon.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:07 pm

If anyone is interested... thought I would update.

As far as the parents the situation it is still mostly like my last post. Though the normal colored female that has taken over does not feed very well, sometimes not at all, the chick was weakening so I decided I needed to intervene a little just recently. I have been hand feeding when I feel it's needed which he seems very happy to eat. She still stays with him whenever she isn't eating etc. I'm just taking it a day at a time and hoping for the best.

As he has been growing a bit his eyes are starting to open and one wing is deformed...
Attachments
20161230_190425.jpg
''Everyone has ocean's to fly, if they have the heart to do it. Is it reckless? Maybe. But what do dreams know of boundaries?'' ― Amelia Earhart

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:43 am

Willow

Well, the little fellow certainly appears to be very well fed.

If he survives infancy, he should do alright, even if he has a damaged wing.

Good luck, and keep up the good work :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks.

When I was looking up other zebra finch chicks online, at this age they seem more developed. Do you think he should be further along at this point? I don't know if it's because he wasn't getting fed frequently enough, his deformities or both?

There is a problem with his beak, you can see it from day one it looked like the top part was injured with some blood on it but it's very apparent now. I can't tell if it's crossed or scissored yet so far it looks more like the tip of the top beak was clipped off or something. I was hoping it would develop more but it doesn't look like it.

Right now I'm just trying to make sure he has a good chance at survival, hoping for the best.

Thanks again for your input and advice.
Attachments
20170103_101844-1.jpg
20170103_091744-1-873x447.jpg
20170102_221557-1-1.jpg
20170103_091902-1.jpg
20170102_221116-1.jpg

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:06 pm

That beak certainly looks like something is wrong with it. Is it hard to the touch, like a normal beak feels, or is it soft, like that could be a tumor/abscess or something of the sort?
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:41 pm

It's quite small but it feels normal as far as I can tell. If you look at all my earlier photos you can see there has been some sort of defect or injury on the top beak from the beginning but as he's getting bigger it's more noticable.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Willow

Oh wow, that is different. It almost looks as if the beak is split down the centre with an extra growth coming through in the middle. I have never seen anything quite like that before.

It's a possibility that that's why the parents stopped feeding this little one.

When he eats, can he open his mouth properly? Or do you have to open his mouth to feed him?

You might end up with a little hand reared, hand tamed baby :D , that may need extra care from you, especially with the injured wing.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 pm

He doesn't have any problem opening his mouth thankfully. Im usually greeted with an open mouth. When I start feeding him he is wide open and chirping like mad for more.

As of yet it hasn't caused any problems I'm aware of but I don't know how much it will effect him as he grows ie. if he will be able to eat properly on his own, will he be able to manage foods that are not soft or if his bottom beak will need to be trimmed. I guess time will tell.... I'm prepared to give him the best life I can. Just want to prepare myself. Hoping for the best.
Attachments
20170103_101843-1.jpg

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Feathers growing....I'm worried about him being in the higher food cup, because of the height and smallness of it. Not sure if I should do anything though..
Attachments
20170106_143048-1.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Willow

If the parents or foster parents are no longer feeding him, or keeping him warm, you could place him in a nest, and in a box, with a warm light over him to keep him comfortable. To make sure that he doesn't get too hot, cover one side of the box with a towel to offer some shade. This way, you can take him with you from room to room if you so wish.

Regarding the eating.....
I'm not sure how he will manage as he gets older. As you said, time will tell.
He might learn to pick up seeds with the side of his beak, but not certain if he'll be able to hull them or not.

He really is a cute baby though, and it looks like you are keeping him very well fed :D .

How old is he now?
~Elana~

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:24 pm

I think around 18/19 days? Is he developing slower you think? They still sit with him often and occasionally try to feed him.

He's becoming much more active just over the past few days, preening and stretching allot.

I'm worried about him jumping out and getting hurt.
Attachments
20170107_134412-1.jpg

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:35 am

I padded the bottom and moved him. He's been hopping out of the nest all day. He was trying to reach lower branches but I haven't seen him successful yet. Mostly hopping around the bottom, he can hold on well and I see him hop/climb. The grey female is still paying attention to him, when I came home I noticed he had seeds in his crop... not sure if it's from her or him. Very vocal, loves attention.
Attachments
20170110_000210-1.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:20 am

Willow

He's just a little doll.
Love that little face <3

Between you, and whoever else is feeding and taking care of him, he seems to be doing very well. Feathering up nicely, and looking plump and content :) Have you named him yet?

Keep up the good job.
~Elana~

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Thanks, still concerned about the eating/drinking as time goes by, seems active but also stays on the bottom of the cage. I haven't thought of a name, wasn't sure I could tell if it's a boy or girl yet?
Attachments
20170111_220857-1.jpg
20170111_220014-1.jpg