1st zebra finch chick questions....

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: 1st zebra finch chick questions....

Post by Willow » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:32 am

Yes, he or she has never gone near the nest or baby till now. I haven't seen him feed at all but the grey female has still been feeding sometimes.
Attachments
AirBrush_20170207231850.jpg
''Everyone has ocean's to fly, if they have the heart to do it. Is it reckless? Maybe. But what do dreams know of boundaries?'' ― Amelia Earhart

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Willow

Well, as long as baby is being fed, and at least trying to eat, hopefully all will be well, and with the company of a little Society, she (?) will not be alone.

Is baby still begging on a regular basis?

I would love to know, if she's managing to eat on her own.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 pm

I think she is a he after all? I see some chestnut spotted feathes popping up and I thought only males get those flank patches? Can females get them in other color variations?

I haven't noticed any begging for awhile, still haven't seen him drink on his own or eat from the bowls. I do see him on the ground now pecking allot and though I usually hang millet and have food higher up I put some down there incase he needs the easy access. He doesnt seem to mess with it but if I pull off parrs and spinkle it around he gets at it eventually. The bottom grate is covered with a cut piece of soft fabric that I usually use for the tray but was worried about him falling and hitting the grates. I hate him eating from the bottom but I guess its better than nothing, he must be managing to eat something as he still seems very healthy/active. Meeping and making noises. Its hard to see his process of eating closely but it looks like hes eating seed with the portion of top beak he does have. His bottom beak is getting very pointy, I trim my parrots beak but Iv never trimed such a small bird. Don't know if that will be needed often if it gets worse. I think he may just be developing at a slower pace due to his disadvantages food wise. He will usually refuse being fed by me now but still answers when I call and will fly over to the side of the cage I'm on.

I noticed sometimes his messed up wing looks like it's bleeding. Usually when I look closer it looks like large feathers are just starting to come in at the end and there is a little blood around them. He doesn't seem bothered by it but I'm worried maybe it's very delicate were he is deformed/injured and bleeds easily. So Iv tried tending to it without bothering him too much.

I usually see him with all the other birds, it's much harder to get photos now. It upsets everyone else more than him. He seems a bit scruffy.. especially in the photos, I'm not sure if it's because new feathers or him hopping around the bottom so much (though he still perches, sleeps up high etc.)
Attachments
20170217_191925-1.jpg
20170217_191825-1.jpg
''Everyone has ocean's to fly, if they have the heart to do it. Is it reckless? Maybe. But what do dreams know of boundaries?'' ― Amelia Earhart

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Willow

I see what you mean about the wing having a bit of blood on it (I hope no one is trying to pluck him).

When my little guy had similar issues with his wing, I would take a Q-tip, and dab a tiny tiny dollop of polysporin on the affected spot (just to make sure no infection sets in. Eventually it did heal, and feather over.
Attachments
20160327_143224-1.jpg
20160119_120459-1.jpg
20160119_120459-1.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
20160123_112608.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:27 am

I'm pretty sure its not from plucking but I'v been keeping an eye out as I know parents don't always get along with chicks as they grow. He's been getting along with everyone so far. They were all just around the millet and he was eating it with them. So happy to see him eat from something besides the ground. I do have other cages that are empty and I have a small cage about 23 inches long 18 deep 16 high that I keep ready with basic setup in case needed. So if I noticed bullying or conflict I can quickly move into temporary cage.

Your little finch is very pretty boy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Willow

Thanks, Max is a beautiful boy, but regretably can't breed due to his injuries.

Your little guy, is coming along very nicely.
If he can eat and drink, and fly, then life is looking good :-BD
~Elana~

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:28 pm

He has been doing really well with eating on his own, he finally discovered the egg food bowl too and really dug in!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Willow

Wonderful news.

I'm ever so glad to hear that baby is doing so well. Sounds like he's well on his way to independence :D

Has he started molting yet?
~Elana~

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:13 am

I'm not sure, I guess he is since he's gotten some polka dot feathers and a few zebra stripe bar feathers? They are very few/light right now but obvious once you see them.

The past couple days he's been wanting more care from me, not sure why ie. begging me for food. Iv fed him a little then give him some millet etc and he'll eat it. He wanted cuddles today. Still seems happy / active.
Attachments
20170224_002058-1.jpg
20170224_003054-1.jpg
20170224_002250-1.jpg
20170224_002018-1.jpg
20170224_002019-1.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:18 am

Willow

I notice that his beak is starting to color up nicely.

As to wanting more attention, Zebras are social and affectionate, also he might not be able to get all the nutrition he needs as yet, so will keep begging for a while yet. He looks like he's going into a molt from the looks of his feathers. I would offer hard boiled eggs for protein, and some very finely chopped greens, which will help him grow nice healthy feathers.
~Elana~

Willow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Willow » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks, I'm excited to see the new feathers come in. :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Willow

Me too :D
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:18 pm

I really hate to bring this up ... but are you SURE that is not a zebra x society? They're sort of variable in appearance when they occur ... but he/she just sort of looks society-ish under the obvious zebra-ness ...
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Sojourner

Looks all Zebra baby to me, lol.
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 pm

lovezebs

Has it just not got its full color yet then? The cheek patches and other zebra qualities are there but the coloring looks more Bengalese to me. Plus all the problems it has and the fact that nobody else hatched at all ...

We talk about "hybrid vigor" but you only get that in very closely related breeds. Zebras aren't even the same species as societies - which doesn't totally stop hybridization. Jut look at Beefalo - but there's a lot of intervention required to get a viable healthy buffalo-cow cross. Lots of back breeding and culling.

Despite which zebras and societies have been known to spontaneously cross-breed, sometimes quite freely. Maybe the coloring is some sort of color mutation? Or is it just that its so young yet? I've never seen a zebra that color.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.