A Guide to Supplement feeding... my style

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: A Guide to Supplement feeding... my style

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:48 pm

slwatson

YAY!! Parents feeding is always a victory.!! =D>

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Babs
Found my wipes warmer at Target and a hand held thermometer gun-thingy at Harbor Freight. That thermometer is the bomb! Such a quick reading and so easy to use. Hopefully, if I ever have to use these things, I'm as successful as you are. Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Babs

I'm so proud of the parents! I recently found out they're actually Florida Silvers, not Florida Fancys. I had no clue how many different zebras were actually out there!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Jen

Hawt Dawg! You are ready to tackle the tossed, the unwanted, the orphaned!! Hopefully you won't need it, but it's so comforting to know you have backup. \M/

@slwatson

I'm amazed at how many mutations of zebras there are as well. Just wish I was courageous enough to own them. Hee hee ;)

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:05 am

Babs
The only thing I don't have is the cup warmer. I need a way to keep the food consistently at the right temp when feeding. I usually run hot water on the containers then I put the one with the mix sitting inside the second container that has hot water. It keeps the mixing bowl with the food warm longer. I thought about an insulated coffee mug but wish I could find something similar, but not so deep.

I feel a lot better being "ready" in case I need these things, but hopefully not in the near future!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 am

Babs
Not sure how to get this link to post but I found this little container "lunchbots" that would hold the food for a longer time at the right temp. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Rounds ... ns+of+food

Jenny

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:17 am

Jen

The one cup coffee maker has a warmer that keeps the water hot for about an hour.
Since I work at my computer at home and I'm monitored by my company as I work, I could not live without that handy piece of equipment. I can mix formula while I chat with a client, let it sit in the hot water while I do my data entry, pull it out when its warmed, give it some stirs until its cooled to the baby's needs. Then I get a quick feed into them and go back to working.

If the formula gets cold I just plunk it back into the hot water to rewarm it. It definitely takes out the hassle of reheating water .

Most of them have a timer to turn off in one hour. Since Im already at my desk monitoring the equipment while I work, I just keep hitting the reset button on the warmer every hour so the water in my coffee cup stays hot all day and is ready as soon as its time to feed.

That really comes in handy for newborns that need to be fed every hour. ;) I never have to wait for the water to reheat.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:32 am

Jen

That might retain heat longer because its insulated. Im not sure if its only insulated for keeping things cool. I dont know how it would hold up against heat.

Worth a try. Ebay has a ton of 1 cup coffee makers for about 20 dollars. (Id love to have a smaller model myself).

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Babs
Hmmm.....hadn't thought of a one cup coffee maker. The water coming out of my faucet is pretty close to the temp I would need, but I know you said you use bottled water.

I was thinking if I heated the water to the temp I needed and put it into a insulated cup (with lid) it could keep water close to the temp needed to feed babies and would be less trouble through the night feeds especially....just a thought. The night feeds are the hardest and probably an easy way to lose a baby.

There are so many new gadgets out there to keep foods hot or cold that maybe mixing/feeding would be a little easier with the right utensils......maybe more babies would be saved.

Jenny

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Jen

I have never fed through the nights. Even with a newborn. I sleep 6 hours until day three, then I go back to 8 hours sleeping. Those critters are always alive in the morning.

Yep. I dont feed tap water to babies. Our tap smells of chlorine like a swimming pool. I cant imagine that being good for a delicate bird.

I keep water hot in the coffee cup maker only to heat up the formula only (as its from the tap). I mix up the formula itself with room temp distilled water and set the formula in the hot bath until its at feeding temp.

Hope that helps!