Breeding Blue-faced Parrot Finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Red_Panda
Pip
Pip

Breeding Blue-faced Parrot Finches

Post by Red_Panda » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:03 am

Hi all.

Its our first time in breeding blue-faced parrot finches. On Thursday one of the six eggs laid hatched. The nestling was being kept warm by both patents. However Saturday coming into the room to check up on the birds we noticed that the baby was not in the nest. We thought perhaps the parents had thrown the baby out of the nest but we couldnt find him in the cage or on the floor. All we found was a bit of rib cage and a head!! I'm shocked! There's no evidence of rodent droppings. Does this mean the parrot finches have killed and eaten the nestling? Will they do it again? Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Breeding Blue-faced Parrot Finches

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Sorry I have no experience with parrot finches but I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss! Did you end up figuring out what had happened?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Red_Panda

They probably ate it. Some birds eat their young when they are lacking nutrients, most often protein or calcium, but often the reasons are unclear. Even birds known for good parenting skills can be problematic; I have a society finch that once become cannibalistic, as detailed in this thread: Egg Eater? She did not eat any of the next broods, and raised them without a problem.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:32 am

Icearstorm wrote: Red_Panda

They probably ate it. Some birds eat their young when they are lacking nutrients, most often protein or calcium, but often the reasons are unclear. Even birds known for good parenting skills can be problematic; I have a society finch that once become cannibalistic, as detailed in this thread: Egg Eater? She did not eat any of the next broods, and raised them without a problem.
Wow that is so weird! I hope I dont ever have this problem!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds