GB nest options

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Waxbillman
Pip
Pip

GB nest options

Post by Waxbillman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Anyone know what type of nest gold breast waxbills prefer. I have the wicker tube style which some people have said they prefer but then I've also heard they prefer the wicker basket with the hood. Any recommendations from experience? I am leaning towards the one with the hood. I know many of you would say to put them both in and let them decide for themselves ,and I would agree with you but I don't have too much space and prefer to have the cage as free of extra clutter as possible. Thanks guys

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: GB nest options

Post by lem2bert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Waxbillman

I have a flight room and my goldbreast have built a nest at the very top of a tree that goes to the ceiling. You may try to replicate that by puting a big branch from the bottom of the cage to the top of the cage. Then throw some orchard grass, coconut fibers torn paper anything that can be used as nesting material and let them chose what they like to use. Then just let nature take its course. Not positive it will work but can't hurt to try. Good luck !!
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Waxbillman
Pip
Pip

Post by Waxbillman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Thank you lem2bert. One more question. My birds are very uninterested in trying new food. Do you ever avoid putting seed in the cage and only put the new food you want them to try such as cucumber etc? By the way what did their nest resemble? Was it a hooded basket or regular basket or tube style structure?

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Waxbillman

It looks like a big hooded basket :lol: I do not know why little birds need such a big nest....at least the size of a big hooded nest !!

They always have seed available. Try putting small amounts of fresh food and egg food daily , when they are ready to breed they will eat it ! I do give mine cucumbers even though I do not think that they have any nutritional value the waxbills really like them.

I also mix boiled egg chop it up small and mix with tropimix , some millet and freeze dried bugs so that it is dry.

There is one in the nest all the time so there is about another week before anything that is going to hatch does.....so just waiting ... [-o<

Waxbillman
Pip
Pip

Post by Waxbillman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Oh man how exciting! At the moment I have a pair of green singers sitting tight and Im waiting to see. Like you I think this week I will know what is going on. But I REALLY like the GBs. I can't wait to try and breed them. I just don't want to make much ruckus cuz the cages are stacked. I am waiting for the greenies to grow a bit and then I will make some changes. Please keep me posted about your incoming packages lol.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Waxbillman

I will, it is impossible to see anything up there except the nest and them going in !!! My biggest fear is that they will abandon them or toss them. I have everything I need just in case but I am hoping for the best [-o<

I am looking forward to the progress of your green singers and yes I agree it is so exciting !!

Waxbillman
Pip
Pip

Post by Waxbillman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:33 pm

lem2bert did your gold breasts have any babies or was it a false alarm?

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:52 am

Waxbillman My goldenbreasted waxbills prefer the small wicker nests.
Marius

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:20 am

Waxbillman

Unfortunately my Gouldians tore the nest apart [-X so no babies this time :( .

Any babies from your green singers [-o< ? How is it going with your gold breast......any nest yet ?

Waxbillman
Pip
Pip

Post by Waxbillman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 am

Nothing from my gold breasts yet but my green singers are going back and forth from feeding stations to the nest constantly so I have positive feelings about seeing some little ones soon [-o< lol. It's nice to see such a thing. They're like human parents. Working hard to give their children what they need. It's amazing.