Successful fostering I hope.

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
tina
Mature
Mature

Successful fostering I hope.

Post by tina » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:47 am

Today I have given 5 zebra finch eggs to my oldest Bengalese pair that have never had their own eggs since I have had them, I already know for sure I have a male/ female pair, just the female is a bit old. They did build a nice nest in their box, and go in and out of it all the time, but never laid any eggs, so I thought I would try to give them some eggs that mom would not sit on, and it caused dad to chase her all over the cage trying to get her into the nest. I guess he got tired of sitting on them constantly.

So anyway I placed the eggs in their nestbox, and they have decided to sit on them. I hope all goes well and they hatch and raise the young for me. It is half the reason I got Bengalese finches in the first place, but I find that I love them a lot too.
Thank you,
Tina

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:05 pm

Societies are sweet birds. I love my pair too.

I would like to breed all my pairs actually. Just don't have the room for individual cages in this house.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:26 pm

They are very sweet and they are also much calmer then my zebra's. I love it because they are sooooo easy to handle. They don't even mind me looking at the babies.

I am so happy to have the 2 pairs that I have. But I do have 1 single male 3 years old. He is great too. I had thought maybe someday I could tame him down since he is mostly that way anyway. Sorry I got off my own topic lol.
Thank you,
Tina

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:03 am

Well the fostering did not work out. They laid 3 eggs after I gave them some zebra eggs, and even though they where sitting tight for a while they suddenly stopped this evening. Their own eggs where infertile. I guess that is why they stopped sitting. The Zebra eggs should have hatched a while ago. I guess the birds could just tell none would hatch and there was no further point.
Thank you,
Tina

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:34 am

Oh, fudge.