New Cage

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
finchescb
Hatchling
Hatchling

New Cage

Post by finchescb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:41 am

I just got a new bigger cage for my Lady Gouldians. Right now I have a pair of Lady Gouldians and their 3 fledglings. I think the pair of Lady Gouldians is getting ready to start another clutch. The fledglings just fledged last week. Is it ok for me to move the pair and their fledglings now or when should I move them?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New Cage

Post by lovezebs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am

finchescb

If they haven't started laying yet, then it's safe to move them.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:11 pm

I would REMOVE the nest, and leave them alone until the fledglings are weaned, then move them.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Sandra Bea Underwood
Pip
Pip

Post by Sandra Bea Underwood » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:54 pm

I have 6 gouldians, and 2 wanted to nest, so I put a nest in and they laid 5 eggs (I think). They hatched 7 days ago and parents are busy feeding. They are in a large cage and I disturb them as little as possible. So today I was changing water and one of the hens was hunkered down in a feeding dish and had laid one egg in the dish of seed. My question of you all is should I put in another nest or take away the egg?

Thanks so much for accepting me into this forum. I need help. :?:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:23 am

Sandra Bea Underwood

Hi Sandra, and welcome to the Forum.

Congratulations on the baby Gouldians :-BD

Just to clarify, the laying hen, is not the mother of the new nestlings, is she?

To answer your question, I would hang up another nest close to the food dish where she laid her egg, and using a plastic spoon, transfer the egg very gently into the nest. She may or may not sit on this one egg, but it will give her a place to lay other eggs if she's breeding.

Make sure to supply your birds with sources of Calcium (all year long, but especially when breeding and laying eggs) such as cuttle bone, oystershell grit, and crushed egg shells.

Also offer hardboiled eggs to the feeding parents, along with their regular diet of Finch seed, greens , veggies and spray millet.

Good luck, and let us know how things are going.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sandra Bea Underwood
Pip
Pip

Post by Sandra Bea Underwood » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:46 am

Thank you so much Elana. I will purchase a new nest today and place it as you suggested.

It is wonderful to have somebody to ask questions and get quick answers.

Sandy

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:38 am

Sandra Bea Underwood

You're most welcome.

If you go into the Finch Information Center located on the upper left hand corner of your Forum screen, you will find loads of wonderful information as well.

There are many members on here who both own and raise Gouldians, (some for many years), so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Enjoy your new babies :D
~Elana~

finchescb
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchescb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:39 am

lovezebs and ac12 thank you for answering my question. I moved the birds and cleaned out the nest and the parents are still feeding the chicks! Thanks again! They have a lot more room and look much better in their new cage!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 am

finchescb

Wonderful news :D .
~Elana~