New zebra babies

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
dorothy
Pip
Pip

New zebra babies

Post by dorothy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm

The female finch has been laying on at least 4 eggs for about 17 days. Today, as I cleaned the cage, I noticed something on the bottom that had fallen through the grate. It was a baby that had fallen from the nest. :( He was moving; and I gently placed him back into the nest, noticing more little fuzz in there, so there are at least two.

Question: NOW what do I do?? Just let mom and dad care for them, or do they need special food now?? The feed I have has millet as the second ingredient, is that ok??

Should I cover the grate at bottom of cage, or remove it; in case they fall out again??

Just want to know if there's something special I need to be doing...it's scary being a new parent after all these years!!! :D

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: New zebra babies

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:53 pm

dorothy

In addition to the seed mix, give them cooked egg every day; I use dry Quiko Classic eggfood and boiled or scrambled egg. They should also have a cuttlebone, ground oyster shell, or pulverized egg shell available at all times for calcium. This can be set in a separate dish or sorinkled onto the egg. Spray millet is also beneficial, though not as necessary as a good source of protein and calcium.

I have never used a grate, so I don't know what's best as far as that goes.
Last edited by Icearstorm on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:55 pm

dorothy The chick could have fallen out, or been knocked out, or been tossed, you really have no way of knowing for sure. If you continue to find babies on the floor, then it would seem that the parents are tossing. If not, then that was just an accident.

Yes, I would cover the grate with paper. Otherwise, the babies can fall through and/or get hung up on the grates. As far as diet, one of the best things you can offer the parents is egg food. This can be as simple as just mashing a hard-boiled egg, or you can get as complicated as you wish. There are many eggfood recipes in the Diet section of this forum. Another thing I would be sure to offer is plenty of veggies, whatever your birds like to eat, and spray millet is always a good food for babies.

Good luck with it, and please keep us posted!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

dorothy
Pip
Pip

Post by dorothy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Thank you, Icearstorm and Sally; for all the help!! I have been feeding boiled egg, sterilized crushed eggshells, dandelion leaves (hope that's ok, they love them) and bits of broccoli, carrot, other veggies, too; if they seem to like them. I feed in moderation, not a lot at one time.

Fresh water twice or more daily, and clean their cages every other day or more if needed.

Yes, I'll cover the grate for now, and remove it if necessary, as sometimes the little guy likes to tear paper up & put it in the nest.

I so appreciate the replies; I will keep you up to date!!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 pm

dorothy Dandelion leaves are great!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

dorothy
Pip
Pip

Post by dorothy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:28 pm

Sally wrote: dorothy Dandelion leaves are great!
I had read that they were ok; and they do love them. I may plant some in a pot for them to munch this Winter, then! :) Oh, and DH and I just covered the grate for tonight. I hope baby wasn't kicked out, but will keep a close watch on the situation.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 am

dorothy
It sounds like you're doing a good job. Zebra finches are generally good parents, so everything should be fine.

dorothy
Pip
Pip

Post by dorothy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:23 pm

So far, so good. One baby left the nest today; approximately 18 days after hatching. According to what I've read, we should soon band them, and put them in their own cage.
I'll be reading more on the forum, but does that sound about right??

I've also heard you can sell them to pet stores, but I doubt they would want them unless checked by an avian vet.

We're still feeding hard-boiled eggs, and shells; some vegetables, and greens in moderation.

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 am

dorothy wrote: So far, so good. One baby left the nest today; approximately 18 days after hatching. According to what I've read, we should soon band them, and put them in their own cage.
I'll be reading more on the forum, but does that sound about right??

I've also heard you can sell them to pet stores, but I doubt they would want them unless checked by an avian vet.

We're still feeding hard-boiled eggs, and shells; some vegetables, and greens in moderation.
Hi and [-X , yet you can't put them in their own cage they need more three extra weeks to be full weaned and eat by their own
zebbies need 2 weeks to hatch, 3 weeks to fledge , and 3 to 4 weeks to be independent
not all pet stores apply this rule, but in most case the breeders sell them at the age of 2 months when they can be sexed .

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm

dorothy

Congratulations on #1 baby fledging... =D>

As haroun mentioned, you will need to give them time to wean. The parents will keep feeding them until they learn to eat and drink on their own. If seperated from the parents before then, the babies will starve.

Regarding selling the youngsters to a Pet Shop.
You will need to talk to the manager of each individual Pet Shop, and see what their policies are.

Good luck, and keep us up dated.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

dorothy
Pip
Pip

Post by dorothy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Thank you, haroun & lovezebs!! I should have been more clear on that; I won't separate them for awhile yet; and will need to get another cage for them, and read more before changing anything.

They are both out of the nest now, and one took a bath in the water dish already. :)
When I got the female, there was yarn in her nest, so I continued to use that. Mistake - now it's dirty and not easy to remove, so I will be cleaning that out sometime later, and replacing it with coconut fiber or something else.

dorothy
Pip
Pip

Post by dorothy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Meant to be here sooner, but it's just been so hectic with the holidays and all.
The two young finches are doing fine; I've moved them to another cage. One is a male, and been banded; the other, not sure as yet.

Mama has been sitting on 5 eggs for 8 days now, but yesterday she left the nest and seldom goes back, and the male isn't incubating the eggs either. I haven't disturbed the eggs or nest, and nothing has happened that should've stressed them, so I don't know what caused this.

Could she know the eggs aren't fertile after so few days?? I could candle them, but do't want to disturb them. Any ideas??

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:02 pm

dorothy

Good to hear that the kids are doing well, Dorothy.

In regards to the eggs, if she has left them for a prolonged period of time, then sadly they are dead. Usually eggs that have been incubated for as long as 8 days, then abandoned don't survive very long.

Hopefully she had gone back to the nest .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~