Best time to acquire Gouldian

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Best time to acquire Gouldian

Post by Millenia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:28 am

If I want to try breeding Gouldians, how long should I have them before breeding season starts? I saw a lovely male in a shop the other day and really wanted to bring him home but I'm not quite ready. I got my first society pair in March and they successfully raised a clutch of 4, then I managed to prevent them from breeding again by disrupting everybody and putting them in the outside aviary with my male zebra and spice finch. They happily spent their summer outdoors, egg free, but I'm in the process of bringing them all back inside and trying to decide what my set up will be. How much lead in time (for breeding season) would you consider minimal? I know their season is in the fall. Also, what would be the best type of cage to set up a pair (of gouldians) for breeding? I've read that the black headed gouldians are less aggressive in breeding season, is that true? I really want everybody to get along when I put them outdoors.

I've visited a number of gouldians sites and will again but wanted to get opinions here as there seem to be several of you who are quite expert on them. They are such beautiful birds.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Best time to acquire Gouldian

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Millenia

I can't say there is a best time to acquire a gouldian. The age for breeding them typically starts @ 12 months and after their adult annual molt.

Does the female in the pet store have a black/charcoal colored beak? If so, then she may already be in breeding mode.

Keep them away from other birds until you know their health is sound. I always use Scatt to ensure my birds are free of parasites and you will want to do that before bringing your aviary birds indoors as well.

Sometimes moving them from the pet store and giving them extra nutrition will throw them into a molt within a couple of weeks and you probably already know you dont want them molting while breeding.

Minimal cage size is 30x18x18.

Theres more and I'm sure others will chime in with good advice.

Send us pictures of your new rainbow birds! :YMDAYDREAM: