Breeding Java Finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Breeding Java Finches

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Icearstorm

Looks like they are going to hatch in the next few days! Very excited for you! \:D/ I'll check out that link a bit later. Thanks!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 pm

First bird hatched; it's already peeping! I'm quite surprised it actually did hatch, because there seemed to be a problem.

The older egg started looking different about 2.5 days ago, with the membrane receding and a small dent appearing on the air cell side; it looked like the bird was attempting to pip, but couldn't break through. I then left it alone for around 24 hours. When I checked again, I saw what looked like two more of the marks, once again, none of them quite puncturing the shell. After that amount of time, the chick probably should have been unzipping the egg. It wasn't.

After hearing multiple times that assisted hatching can go horribly wrong, I found this article Step by Step Guide to Assisted Hatching. I candled the egg again and determined that there was no veining or other evidence that the bird still needed to develop, so I figured it was safe to help a little. I held the light up to the egg and opened a very small hole, slightly larger than a pinhead, where one dent on the air cell was, careful to avoid messing with the chick inside. Then I put it back and left it.

I can't be sure I actually did anything useful or if the chick would have hatched on its own, but it's out now, and seems healthy.

Unfortunately, the younger egg somehow got bashed in and may not hatch. Last I checked, it was moving inside, so there may be hope.

Now that I think about it, there were only six in that clutch, so I guess one must have been laid relatively recently.
Attachments
Java Finch Day 1 resized.jpg

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Day 2
Attachments
Java Finch Day 2 (4).jpg

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Icearstorm

Great job! A little tip I've noticed that is odd with java eggs. They sometimes recess WAY back before they hatch. I almost chucked one, decided to leave it in and it hatched later that day.

Dont panic daddy bird. ;) They are good hatchers.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Babs

Hmm, that's interesting; I wonder why that's different from the other species. Both the fertile eggs receded on just one side, giving the inner area a lopsided look.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Icearstorm

Yep i've noticed that too. I'm a crazy egg watcher. I think I mentioned the receded way java eggs look before hatching. I'll try and dig up the posts.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Icearstorm

My mind is scrambled from work. I tried to find the posts but I can't. But trust me on that. Javas eggs look just often as you mentioned, tilted, receded and scare you half to death before they hatch. It freaked me out too. Wait it out, they are strong and they work a bit harder to get out of the shell than my gouldians.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:17 pm

Babs

This one? My First Java Babies Hatched!

I'm still going to leave the other egg, even though I'm not super hopeful. The side is somewhat crushed; this obviously isn't due to hatching.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Icearstorm

That is EXACTLY the one. Thank you for that ..I will quote my/that post

" Edit The one egg I left in there that I didnt think was viable just hatched. I thought it expired in the shell. Glad I didnt chuck it. So there are now 3 #:-S"

I do know once the shell is compromised and lets air in before the egg is supposed to hatch, the inner membrane shrinks, and it tightens around the chick.

I naively attempted to aid a chick hatching from my incubator (I no longer use)and I broke the shell too soon, with good intentions. I was a few hours too early and the little chick died as he was still attached to the shell. I, like you, noticed him pipping a LONG time and panicked.

Some here know when I did this and I was devastated. As hard as it is to watch, when we candle, we have to let mother nature decide. That kiddo looks great and you did an awesome job,,,, but what if you had done it 2 hours earlier? Now , I let the eggs decide when the chicks hatch.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 am

Babs

That's good to know; I'll be more careful next time.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Day 3
Attachments
3 Java Finch Day 3 e.jpg

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Icearstorm

He looks well fed and beautiful! The other eggs look in various stages of development spaced apart. Tails and Lady starved the rest of their clutch and fed only the first one fledged.

I would not recommend allowing them to have chicks of varying ages, given my personal experience. Societies seem more apt to pull this off.

Gouldians and Javas here in my house, it doesnt work out.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 am

Babs

Two of the eggs are infertile ones from the beginning, one may or may not hatch soon (probably DIS), two are fakes, and the last one was probably laid recently. When I figure out which one is the newest, I can pull it; I'll keep candling them all until then.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 am

Babs wrote: Icearstorm

That is EXACTLY the one. Thank you for that ..I will quote my/that post

" Edit The one egg I left in there that I didnt think was viable just hatched. I thought it expired in the shell. Glad I didnt chuck it. So there are now 3 #:-S"

I do know once the shell is compromised and lets air in before the egg is supposed to hatch, the inner membrane shrinks, and it tightens around the chick.

I naively attempted to aid a chick hatching from my incubator (I no longer use)and I broke the shell too soon, with good intentions. I was a few hours too early and the little chick died as he was still attached to the shell. I, like you, noticed him pipping a LONG time and panicked.

Some here know when I did this and I was devastated. As hard as it is to watch, when we candle, we have to let mother nature decide. That kiddo looks great and you did an awesome job,,,, but what if you had done it 2 hours earlier? Now , I let the eggs decide when the chicks hatch.
you do need to be really careful aiding a chick to hatch out, crack the egg too soon, if you rupture the membrane with has veining in it the chick can bleed out. make sure the humidity is in your room is between 50 to 70% it helps.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 am

Babs wrote: Icearstorm

My mind is scrambled from work. I tried to find the posts but I can't. But trust me on that. Javas eggs look just often as you mentioned, tilted, receded and scare you half to death before they hatch. It freaked me out too. Wait it out, they are strong and they work a bit harder to get out of the shell than my gouldians.
found a description I had... at day 16-17 days the chick will turn towards the air cell in the egg, the little tooth they use to pip the inner membrane and the exterior shell is pointed at the very edge or the air cell.... before hatching (about 24-36 hours before) the chick draws the blood and the yolk into the body..... the stage where the chick turns does look like the air cell is tilted!!!

I have a really neat video of what happens inside the egg as the chick develops and hatches.... I'll see if I can get the link to post.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only