Breeding Java Finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Breeding Java Finches

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Icearstorm

I'd set out a bowl of boiled egg and crushed shells each day. That should get their hormones reved up to breed again and will put her body in good condition to lay.

I use parakeet size breeder boxes. Much bigger than the boxes I use for gouldians. My females wouldnt lay until I introduced the boxes (and eggs appeared within a few weeks of putting them in), and like gouldians they mate repeatedly and often they mate in the nest box, so they like it spacious.

I hope that helps.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Babs

They have eggfood and crushed shells, though I can give them some fresh egg, as well. The nest box is fairly big; if I remember correctly, it's around 7" x 9" at the base.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Icearstorm

Debbie taught me about the boiled egg, and how it opens up their reproductive organs and kicks it in active mode. And shes right. I pile on the boiled egg, and all my pairs get frisky.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Babs

I can try that, then. I think I'll boil a bunch and freeze them in batches.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Icearstorm

I hope it works its magic! [-o< I use a mini food processor and throw in 3 eggs (shell and all), give it few pulses and it creates instant fresh & fluffy boiled egg/ mixed with shells in seconds. Since I work full time, its a time-saver for me.

I wash and disinfectant the food processor afterwards with a paper towel, raw white vinegar and hot water so its ready to go when I need eggs again.

Its fed so many finches, the plastic has scratches from the eggs shells all over it. #:-S Lasted two years now.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Babs

I just steamed ten eggs, and set aside the eggshells plus three of the eggs for the birds. I also sprinkled some of the multivitamin powder on them, and may add spirulina powder in the future.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Icearstorm

Top it off with the shells on top for good measure. You never know when a hen is laying......until she's laid that first egg.

By then she already has needed that calcium at least for 24 hours. And she will devour the shells before she lays.

Trust me, she will only eat what she needs, so no concerns for an over dose with shells and boiled eggs ever.

Hoping for some eggs.........to come from those EGGS! [-o<

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Babs

I've got it all mixed up, so they should be getting a good amount of eggshell in each serving. They ate a bit today, but tossed much of the yolk out of the food dish.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Icearstorm

They will pick what nutrients they need. Offering shells with egg meat (vitD) ensures they can absorb the calcium without you having to use supplements.

Its tried and true and sworn by for many finch keepers. good luck [-o<

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:48 pm

There are now six eggs. At least three are fertile; they haven't been incubated for long, so I don't know for sure. I only have room for two more, so I'll be replacing four with fake clay eggs.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:24 am

Icearstorm

Yay!! Java kids soon! \M/

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Babs, I have two female Javas and am not interested in breeding. How often do you recommend feeding hard boiled eggs and, also dry egg food? Thank you in advance.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:47 am

wildbird

I would offer them vitamin fortified dried eggfood 2-3 times a week since your hens of course aren't breeding. Most dried egg foods also contain vitaminD and calcium.

I'd save the boiled egg for a treat once a week. Sprinkle eggshells in it. I'd be hesitate to offer it more than that so the gals dont randomly start dropping eggs.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:25 pm

It turned out only three or four were fertile, so I only had to replace two of them with fakes. The two fertile ones I left are coming along nicely; I can even see one move a bit when I hold the light up to it. Birb usually jumps out of the nest with little hesitation when I look in, but today she started hissing and trying to bite me. Hopefully this is a sign she'll be a good mother.

It turns out they weren't eating the sunflower seeds because they couldn't get them out of the gravity feeder. I modified it slightly, and now they're eating from it. They still aren't keen on the seed mix, though, and only seem to be eating the canary seed out of it.

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on here, but there's something in those eggs:
Attachments
Probably the second one, laid 12/21.
Probably the second one, laid 12/21.
I think this one was the third one laid, on 12/22.
I think this one was the third one laid, on 12/22.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:44 pm