Helping hens recover from breeding?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Helping hens recover from breeding?

Post by MisterGribs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 am

My hen had 2 clutches in a row, and I'm worried about her health. She's a zebra finch, so there's nearly no way to stop her from breeding without causing a lot of stress to her, so I'd like to gather some information about which nutrients, besides calcium and vitamin D, I should focus on.

I didn't find much information about WHICH nutrients eventually became deficient, only that some mystery nutrients did.

She has a perforated ear drum, and tends to fall a lot when she feels weak and she broke a blood feather yesterday, so I feel the fire under my bum.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Helping hens recover from breeding?

Post by haroun » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 am

Hi.
IMHO u should separate the male, cut off milet and protein go a head on rest diet based on plain alpist seed, if u keep for her the nest u should toss any laid egg off corse u kerp availble the calcium and vitD.

Alpiste seeds : canarie's grass seeds

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:14 am

haroun OK, I can stop feeding them so much egg, they eat quite a lot of it.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:28 pm

MisterGribs

Hello,

I know that some breeders are strong proponents of the Austerity Diet for their non breeding birds, so that might be something to look into.

Here is a bit of an article which might be helpful....

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/egglaying.html
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm

An austerity diet has always bothered me. Even when they're not breeding / molting, they need the full range of vitamins, minerals and proteins.

My own thought is that on an austerity diet you are making the birds so unhealthy that they can't lay eggs.

I wonder if any other field of animal husbandry practices an austerity diet?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Dave:
The austerity diet has been used forever for cage birds with no ill effects on the birds except that they burn fat, get leaner and it does cool the hormones off. It mimics seasonal cycles in the wild when water and thus food is harder to find.
Used for a month or so it shouldn't cause any trouble.
Once back on a full diet they may or may not swing into breeding mode again just as they would in spring time when food becomes plentiful in the wild.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:58 pm

I could accept a month. I don't think I could accept a season which is what I've read about. paul-inAZ, thanks.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:48 pm

I've done austerity for several months at a time with no problems.
But my finches are Gouldians that originate in a fairly harsh climate with a long dry period so food becomes scarce. Not that dissimilar to Arizona's climate. Gouldian physiology could be different so they can better tolerate longer periods of austerity.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Separation from the male/female and some plastic eggs to sit on. Societies and some zebras will sit and "rest" for over a month on fake eggs.

Good time for her to recuperate and eat what she needs. Thats how I keep my societies healthy with nests, all year long, without the need to remove their nests. They are still alive despite their high breeding rate. My societies will sit on fake eggs for over two months before giving up.

And I cut way down on the protein during that time.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Babs I think this is great advice, I'm gonna go with this, and no egg for a while and see if it cools her jets.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 am

In addition to focusing on stopping Vilu from breeding, what can I give her to get her back up to health in the rest period? Just her normal foods and time?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:50 am

MisterGribs

I would think her normal diet. I know you are mindful of good nutrition.
I'd add some extra calcium to replenish what she's lost and cut down on fatty seeds in addition to taking away to eggfood.