Feathers for lining nests

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Feathers for lining nests

Post by kcfd55 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:09 pm

I see that several species of finches line their nests with "white feathers." Do they have to be white? Where could you get some? I thought of finding a feather pillow, but thought that it might be treated with something harmful.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Feathers for lining nests

Post by isobea » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:28 pm

kcfd55 - Mike, I've been using feathers out of an old pillow for years now. I cut a hole into one of the corners, take out more than I need (with tweezers so they don't go flying), put them into a Ziploc bag and tape the pillow shut again. Then I sprinkle the feathers onto the bottom of my aviary as needed. Some birds really prefer the white feathers, but the others eventually get picked up, too.
Hope this helps,
Iso

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Re: Feathers for lining nests

Post by kcfd55 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:20 pm

isobea wrote: kcfd55 - Mike, I've been using feathers out of an old pillow for years now. I cut a hole into one of the corners, take out more than I need (with tweezers so they don't go flying), put them into a Ziploc bag and tape the pillow shut again. Then I sprinkle the feathers onto the bottom of my aviary as needed. Some birds really prefer the white feathers, but the others eventually get picked up, too.
Hope this helps,
Iso
Thanks, Iso. I didn't see your response 'til just now. And I like the detail about scattering the feathers on the ground.

Mike