Determining Breeding Season

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
The Maltese
Pip
Pip

Determining Breeding Season

Post by The Maltese » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:28 am

I am having difficulty determining the best time to breed finches.

Online sources mostly agree that "In northern Australia, owl finches breed during Jan - Mar" which in Australia would be late Summer beginning of Autumn.

I am located in Malta, Europe (other side of the globe in realation to Australia) so would I:

a) stick to the same months ie. Jan to March, which in Europe would be Winter to early Spring

OR

b) stick to the same season ie. Summer to Autumn, which would be July to September?

The Malteser

~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Shaft Tails ~ Plum Headed Finch Mutations ~ Masked Finches ~ Stars ~ Gloster Canaries ~

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Determining Breeding Season

Post by haroun » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:51 am

Hi u have same climate as me "mediterranean" i'm pretty sure that breeding finchs in july or august is not very cleaver way to much hot + type of nest wich will be a furnase for cheeks.
My way is to start the breeding season after the first rain fall of autumn. Give them a break in the freezing period late december to late january. Restart again in spring from 2nd half id february to First half of may.

Btw i'm a indoor brooder without heating

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Determining Breeding Season

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:10 am

I'm going to try breeding all year round ( am unable to stop one pair from breeding at this stage ) so I'll just pace their clutches. The other finches I'll either do the same thing or I'll just start early spring,
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds