breeding cage lighting?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Finchluv
Nestling
Nestling

breeding cage lighting?

Post by Finchluv » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:32 pm

i have recently ordered some breeding cages off amazon. should be here in a week or less i hope. but i wanted to think about lighting for the cages. what do you guys use for cage lighting on breeding setups? i don't like the system i have, and i will be setting up the cages just like the picture. any suggestions?
Attachments
cage1.jpg
cage1.jpg (14.25 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Finch hobbyist for over 10 years! Zebras & Societies
-Jai

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: breeding cage lighting?

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Well my breeding cages are outside attached to the end of my aviairy so I don't have to use any lighting. I've read on other posts on this forum tho that people use LED.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:10 pm

4' LED shop light, $25 each. You could hang one, vertically, at one end. Or at each end if you're using the divider in these cages. All three layers will get light.

The fixture looks like a single-tube fluorescent fixture. Get the type that have a reflector, so you won't have to squint from light shining towards you: the light will shine into the cage.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/19223 ... LST75.html
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:34 pm

I light my stacked cages from the side.
I put a LED bulb into a Home Depot clamp light, then clamp the light to the side of the cage.
I stopped using CFL, cuz they sometimes emit a STINK smell/vapor. And when one of the CFL bulb failed, I am pretty sure that the vapor killed a few of my gouldians. It stunk up the entire room.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary