It's quiet, maybe too quiet...

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Rocki_finch
Pip
Pip

It's quiet, maybe too quiet...

Post by Rocki_finch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi guys!

So my new Zebra, Holly with the 5 eggs ... well one of them hatched. I've heard the little one peeping before but it's been about 24 hours since I've heard a peep. Holly is still in the nest though, doesn't leave much - just for food and water. Is something wrong? I did catch a glimpse tonight but Holly came back, but the little one wasn't moving - we kind of thought the worse.

Thoughts?!

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: It's quiet, maybe too quiet...

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:58 pm

I don't know if you will know unless you check the nest. You could try using your phone to get a video of the baby inside the nest, that way you are not actually taking the nest down. And using the video, you will then be able to determine whether or not the baby is alive. It could be that you just weren't there last time it was feeding. If it is dead then it will need to be removed but you could wait another day just to see if you do hear the baby feeding. Wishing you the best of luck and hopefully the baby is still alive!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Also congrats on the first egg hatching! Hopefully the rest of the eggs hatch also!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:08 am

Rocki_finch

When are you usually around the finches? The hatchling's peeping is usually too soft to hear from another room, so it could be calling when you aren't there.

It's also worth noting that lone chicks don't seem to chirp as much; if none of the other ones have hatched, the lack of noise isn't terribly unusual. I didn't hear anything from my lone society chick for the first four days, and I only hear my only Java chick occasionally. One or two chicks are typically fed more quickly than a large brood, so they won't beg for as long.

Young hatchlings don't move much. They quickly dry up and flatten out if they die; if the bird you got a glimpse of looked like a normal, three-dimensional hatchling, then there's a good chance it's still alive.

Zebra finches usually tolerate nest checks, so it probably wouldn't hurt to take a peek in the nest.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:42 pm

USually zebras are okay just have a look in there nest and see if it’s okay isbit her first clutch maybe she doesn’t know how to feed yet sometimes with there first time they stand there and look like what’s the hell is that
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Rocki_finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Rocki_finch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Flight Feathers Icearstorm Fraza

You guys were right. I set up a hideout to see if I can catch a feeding, and I did! So exciting! She even let me take a peek. So far still only one ...

Thank you all for your insight, I have had finches for about 6 years but it's still new to me. It's winter here, so it's hard to make sure she is constantly warm.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:07 am

Rocki_finch

Good luck with your baby, and hopefully more will hatch in the next day or so.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~