The right bands for Lady Gouldian fledglings

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Sharock
Pip
Pip

The right bands for Lady Gouldian fledglings

Post by Sharock » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:03 pm

My first clutch of 2 beautiful gouldians have fledged and I want to band them. I know it is recommended to get them out of the nest at around 8-10 days to put the NFSS bands on, but my girl made her home in the bamboo finch nest that I placed in the cage temporarily waiting on the proper nest boxes to arrive and I was hesitant to disturb them as I had to go into the cage to do so. I will remove that nest going forward once everyone is old enough and settled. Reading through the forum to figure out when that is....
Can I order the next size up of NFSS bands now that the babies have fledged or will they be to small or cause harm trying to band them? Is there a better option this time even though I do prefer to have my babies NFSS banded from what I’ve read so far. I’d like to show them and really work on improving my birds at each opportunity. They are absolutely wonderful.
Attachments
The family, dad is due for a nail trim
The family, dad is due for a nail trim
The babies
The babies
Shannon
6 Lady Gouldians and the pups

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: The right bands for Lady Gouldian fledglings

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:58 pm

Sorry I've never banded birds and know nothing about banding them but I just wanted I jump in say that you have very beautiful birds!!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm

with closed band ! To late u cant band them now, and don't try to do it u can harm them, ur only option is to use opened ring wich are not accepted in show, i'm not in the states may be im wrong about the last point.
Btw congrates, and very nice OH gould

Sharock
Pip
Pip

Post by Sharock » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:13 am

Thank you for the replys. It’s nice to hear from those with more experience and the last thing I would ever want to do is anything to possibly hurt these new guys.
How do you all get the babies out at the 8-10 days old and not stress the parents so they possibly pitch? They have been the best parents so I’m guessing they won’t, but this was their first clutch.
Thanks again for the advice.
Shannon
6 Lady Gouldians and the pups

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:42 am

Sharock The preferred method of closed banding is to remove the babies from the nest and band them at age 8-10, but that isn't always possible. I have waxbills, which will abandon a nest if I tried to remove the babies to band them.

The second best method is what I use and is approved by NFSS. You can band at fledge with one size up on the closed bands. This should be done the day of fledging or perhaps the next day, but the babies are growing so fast that it is usually impossible to closed band them after that.

It is best to have bands ready so that you can band the day of fledging. If you want to show your birds in the U.S. or Canada, they do not have to be closed banded. The only problem with showing a bird with no band or an open band is that the bird can't earn any points for itself, and it must be shown in the old class. The bird can still earn a placing on top bench, and the owner will earn points as the exhibitor.

Welcome to the forum! If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to help you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:47 pm

I close band at 10 days. After fledging it is too late, even for next size up.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Sally thank u very much for the shared info =D>

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:19 am

I use an outside nest box, so I can open or remove the next without disturbing the pair too much.
- I slide in a solid divider, so they can't see the nest and me.
- Then I remove the nest to the bathroom, where I close band the chicks.
- Close banding is a chore and a trick in itself.

My close bands are colored for the year and numbered from 101 up.
I use RedBird bands, not NSSF bands.

On birds where for whatever reason I don't close band, I have split plastic bands that I use. These I can put on at any time, including full adults.
- New birds that are not closed banded.
- Fledglings.

The split bands are colored for the year, and numbered from 1 up.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary