Will she still incubate?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Will she still incubate?

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi there,

So my CFW pied hen zeb (rainfall) and my black face male zeb (nimbus) have 3 eggs in their nest. My hen rain was laying every day and then it suddenly rained (and it has been very hot for ages before then) and maybe it gave her a fright or something because she has not layed since or started incubating the eggs. Is there any chance she will go back to her nest and start incubating?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Will she still incubate?

Post by haroun » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:54 pm

How many days since the last one has benn laid ?!
does the male visit the nest ?
Last time my hen laid only 3 eggs and start incubating 2 to 3 days after of corse encouraged by the experiencd male
Last edited by haroun on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 pm

haroun wrote: How many days since the last one has benn laid ?!
About 2-3 days.

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Y3s she will go back to the nest. May be she made interruption cause of the heat. The nest isn't a plastic made right ?
In the wild, in Australia, when it starts to realy heat, the zebras go on rest mode andbreeding season ended.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:14 pm

haroun wrote: Y3s she will go back to the nest. May be she made interruption cause of the heat. The nest isn't a plastic made right ?
In the wild, in Australia, when it starts to realy heat, the zebras go on rest mode andbreeding season ended.
Well she has been laying fine in all these 30 degree days, it was when it started raining that she stopped laying. The nest is made from cardboard, never had a plastic nest. So you think she definitely will go back? I caught her briefly in the nest yesterday but she wasn't incubating and there is no more eggs. Thank you for your replies!

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Yes hen starts incubating after the 4 th egg, but there are some exception, some start incubating from 1st laid eggs, others wait till the whole bunch is laid

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:55 pm

So u got ur sign, she return to the nest to take care for the eggs. Did the male do the same ?!

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:15 pm

haroun wrote: So u got ur sign, she return to the nest to take care for the eggs. Did the male do the same ?!
As far as I know the male has never been in the nest. The female only went in briefly and has not been in since.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:26 pm

haroun wrote: So u got ur sign, she return to the nest to take care for the eggs. Did the male do the same ?!
She has been continuing laying in the nest now but she is still not incubating ?! There are 6 eggs now although might be 7 now as I haven't checked today. When will she start incubating ? Or will she just lay lots of eggs and then abandon them?